Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing in reception

Hi - After half term Ive been asked to lead an inset on writing and the judgements we make about the children's writing using the development matters scales. Its an inset that will be attended by 6 different schools in the local area and Im guessing the aim is to get us all singing from the same song sheet so to speak. I thought I would gather up different examples of writing from children and get groups of staff from different schools to work together to discuss which elements of development matters they can see and make decisions on the age bracket they think the children are working in. Also I thought more importantly we could discuss the provision for Early writing in all of our settings and how we can ensure we are getting independent writing from our children. Does this sound ok or do any of you think Im going in the wrong direction here? Im trying to be careful that it doesnt turn into a moderating session more I want to share and highlight good practice. Also does anyone know where I could get more examples of Reception children's writing to have a good spectrum of examples?

Any help appreciated x

all sounds great. judgements made sounds like moderation so what you have said is a good idea. discussing provision would be a good idea and of course you could have your graphics area set up to show the sorts of things you have available to encourage mark-making. you could also set up room to show opportunities for writing in other areas e.g. clipboards by construction, post-its for them to label models/write what they have made etc etc x

Is this just EYFS teams or whole schools? That might colour your final choices for foci.

Why not also look at the underpinning need for Physical development and the relationship between the Dev matters statements for physical and writing - align them in a sorting activity - challenges knowledge of the framework and underlines the need for knowing how writing fits in different aspects not just on its own.

Cx

• Like 1

Great ideas being put forward on this thread. I like Catma's idea of looking at writing and how this is a physical response. Also the 'Mark Making Matters' document highllghts the mathematical possibilities too. The sorting activity lends itself well to this type of activity and will promote lots of discussion amongst your fellow colleagues. Have a great time. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)