Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessments

hi I have done my assessments from Sept now - baselines ones, when do I do the next one? Would it be straight after half term or closer to the end of term 1? What does everyone else do? x

i'm in nursery and we do oct, feb, july, as very hard to show progress in half a term. but always aware of where our key children are and what they need next, and have tracker in learning journeys to ensure all areas of learning and strands within them have been observed.x

we do our 'summing up' half-termly, reporting on month bands, usually during the last couple of weeks of each half-term. Summer one varies depending on when LA want data in - it's always well ahead of June 30th soit can be moderated and verified first.

We were required to update tracking every half term and given a date by which it should be completed by the assessment coordinator. I used to find it quite difficult to see a lot of movement after only half a term.

I do my assessments 3 x per year, one baseline towards the end of October, again in February and finally at the end of June (for reporting to the LA). I highlight the development on the children's electronic trackers and then transfer this onto a data capture grid. The grid shows if the children are 'Emerging, Developing or Secure' within an area and the percentage of the cohort that are in each age bracket. I am in a school setting and the head teacher uses the percentages to see how many of the cohort are meeting age related expectations.

On the subject of assessing and baselines has anyone found that cos the government have moved quite a few of the 40-60 months DM statements into 30-50 that chn in reception are generally falling within 30-50? I work in quite an affluent area but because the gov are expecting more at an earlier age the majority of my chn are best fitting within the 30-50, they may have some elements of 40-60 but not all of 30-50. I am quite a tough assessor and if I'm not sure on something or I don't think I've seen enough evidence in the chn's day to day play then I will always go with my lower voice.

Let me know what you have found!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)