Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsc And Bttm & Ry1 All Change

I have just heard ( from a reliable source) but can't say who, that Lesley Staggs and others are currently writing the new curriculum for early years ages 0-6 yrs.

Out will go the FSC & BTTM and we will all have to attend yet more training on the new curriculum :oxD:(

The new curriculum will come into place within 1-2 yrs.

So, don't spend too long re-writing what you do, just fit it to BTTM and then save your energy for the future changes to come.

Peggy

Thanks for this Peggy - please keep us posted. Still trying to get to grips with the FSC & the Profile (which kind of takes over if I'm being honest) after all these years. All I can say is :( and xD and may be :o

Sounds about right, as soon as anything is in place and beginning to work it is changed!

suppose we have been lucky to have this one for so long!!

yet agin time to either throw out or change all the hard work we have put in place, what other career changes the goal posts every 2 or 3 years?

Inge

I have just heard ( from a reliable source) but can't say who, that Lesley Staggs and others are currently writing the new curriculum for early years ages 0-6 yrs.

Out will go the FSC & BTTM and we will all have to attend yet more training on the new curriculum  :o  xD  :(

The new curriculum will come into place within 1-2 yrs.

So, don't spend too long re-writing what you do, just fit it to BTTM and then save your energy for the future changes to come.

Peggy

36989[/snapback]

When I attended the regional FS training at which Lesley Staggs was present she did say that they were putting together guidance to show how BTTM relates to FS and FS to KS1 to emphasise how we now have an integrated curriculum based on coherent principles. I'm sure she also said that there was no way they were going to change either BTTM or the FS curriculum as it was too soon and would be wrong to interrupt something we were all just coming to terms with.

However this may have changed since June.

The key document is now Every Child Matters and what training we have received is stressing that there is really no need to continue with Numeracy and Literacy strategy in reception (nor indeed anywhere) but to move to a much more child centred curriculum. I was struck by how this change seems to be happening by stealth rather than through big media announcements.

I agree androyd, especially the "quiet" media approach.

I am concentrating on the 5 outcomes derived from Every Child Matters, when planning for my preschool.

I presume that the new 0-6 curriculum will be BBTM + FSC + KS1. However, I worry about the term "guidance" when used in these documents because they have (in the past) become "The Curriculum", and when this happens, the actual everyday practice, I think, becomes too prescriptive and doesn't account for individual setting and childrens needs.

This could sometimes be blamed on the "practitioners" and not the authors of the "guidance".

Still....as long as we do keep "play" as the paramount objective our children will flourish, enjoy and achieve. :D

Peggy

I know what you mean about the 'stealth' way of informing early years practitioners about moving away from LS and NS - it's so stealth that I can't even convince my FS co of it!!!!

Do you think this will provide us EY advocates of the definitive proof that we shouldn't be pulling children out of their play to sit them at a table to do false Lit or Num work when much more rewarding, productive, imaginative and downright fun activities can be much better provided for in the areas of our classrooms??

I've been given the go ahead by my new head to go for it as far as my own way of teaching etc. The big room has been separated into two teaching areas now with screens down the middle. I've spent the last two days in school having a blast!!! My classroom is slowly but surely turning into the reception class of my dreams - or at least the early stages of as I can only do so much with the dated furniture I have!! All the decent stuff is at the other end i.e. home corner and equipment etc. I on the other hand have a very creative sister who came in yesterday and gave me the bright idea of using some of my small cupboards to transform into a home corner - et voila!! They look amazing as my own little kitchen area. Am SO impressed with them!

Have been rejigging planning - along with the majority of you lot if what I've been reading is to be believed (am sure it's true!) and have really enjoyed planning out the areas and using some of your very helpful stuff you've been posting and re-jigging it slightly to make it more my own (hope you don't mind!). The thing I am now finding more difficult to do is justify doing separate lit and num planning and finding the time to pull all my children out for lit and num activities.

Is there anywhere it says that I must pull out children to sit down and do a specific teaching activity at a table?? Could I not simply do it elsewhere??!! If that is the case and I already have my area planning in place with links to CLL and MD and all the others, why should I have to do a lit and num sheet as well (unless I simply do the carpet bit to make FS co happy?).

Help would me greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

D xxx

Gater, as you know if you are addressing goals then you are covering the requirements of NLS and NNS, which are not statutory. FSC guidance is the statutory document, so if you have been given the ok by your head surely you can disregard this other planning format too. If you are unsure then perhaps you should check with him but if you have literacy and maths detailed on your short term planner you should be ok?

Hi Gator what you are doing sounds brilliant!

I am working in an independent school and will be team teaching in Reception this term but in Jan 06 will be starting up a Pre Reception class so the children will be slightly younger (top nursery). We are lucky in as much as we take what we want from curriculum Guides/ Fs profiles etc but I am very confused about what will be happening in the future also what is FS2? Are things changing in Year one?

Ps this website is excellent!

Hi Gator what you are doing sounds brilliant!

I am working in an independent school and will be team teaching in Reception this term but in Jan 06 will be starting up a Pre Reception class so the children will be slightly younger (top nursery). We are lucky in as much as we take what we want from curriculum Guides/ Fs profiles etc but I am very confused about what will be happening in the future also what is FS2? Are things changing in Year one?

Ps this website is excellent!

37028[/snapback]

Hi Mottie

Agree this site is great.

FS1 is Nursery (Foundation Stage1)

FS2 is Reception (Foundation Stage 2)

Hope this helps

Hi Mottie

Agree this site is great.

FS1 is Nursery (Foundation Stage1)

FS2 is Reception (Foundation Stage 2)

Hope this helps

37030[/snapback]

thanks Marion

we're a bit in the dark ages where i work!

I had heard the same about the rejigging of the bttm and the CGFS from Lesley Stagg and team at the Early Years symposium in North Tyneside a few months back - think that it will be a putting together of both documents and some slight rejigging to hopefully allow for continuity????????????????????????

Sarah xoxo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)