Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Lesson Structure

Hello,

I'm in the process of reviewing my day. I wondered how many of you out there, in reception, do a maths and a literacy based focus each day? Does anyone do a literacy focused morning which alternates with a maths based morning??

I do! I do phonics daily then I alternate a maths/literacy focus until Friday which in my head is 'handwriting' but at this stage is actualy a whole range of activities to develop motor control.

I often try to include some counting/number rhymes on the days which have a literacy focus too.

I have inherited a timetable which has a daily maths and literacy session as well as daily phonics and "topic" which basically covers everything else. I'm finding my maths and literacy are making us quite concentrated in the morning and the phonics comes straight after lunch (fixed by whole school timetable), leaving the children exhausted before we move onto "topic", and therefore it is quite hit and miss with lots of the children. In my head I'm rationalising this by thinking that I am covering the basics with these children well and then they will start to pick up more of the topic stuff as they are more able to cope with the full day. Do you think I am fooling myself there?

My half term challenge is to see if I can stop "chunking" the day so much and still stay in step with the rest of the school. Simple - not!

At the moment I am doing daily phonics first thing in the morning which lasts about 3/4 hour as we do the main intro and then have fun group activities related which the children rotate around. I have a weekly numeracy focus and have 2 short carpet sessions related to it a week as well as daily counting songs and rhymes etc and then there are activities set out for the children to access independently in ci time with an adult supporting. I have a UW focus per week and we have a couple of afternoon carpet slots to explore these and again activities set out during ci time. By the time we have had 2 PE slots a week, re, pshe, daily phonics etc there doesn't ever seem to be enough time for much else!

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)