Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet training - advice please!

maj

We have a child who's been start/stopping with his toilet training since the spring. He turned 3 in July, and still isn't using the toilet or potty at nursery.

Mum says he uses them at home, but she also leaves him on the potty for up to 40 mins until he wees, we obviously wouldn't do that here!!

We've tried all our usual methods - taking him every 15 minutes, going with other children, just him and the key person, had the tap running, made reward charts, been relaxed about 'accidents', given lots of praise and offered lots of drinks all day. He liked the sound of the toilet flushing, so we said he could flush it if he did a wee etc. None of these methods have worked so far, and he's either having lots of 'accidents' or not going at all while he's here, which isn't good for him.

Sometimes when he has an accident, he seems surprised that it's happened, as if he's not had the physical feeling of needing to go, or he'll carry on playing seemingly unaware.

Has anyone else experienced this, what did you do? Any advice at all would really be appreciated!

did'nt want to r & r- sounds like you are doing all that i may have suggested , although i do have a visual toilet training book that i gave to one mum to use and it worked , maybe this little boy is just not ready but if he does not even acknowledge feeling of needing to go it may be worth asking mum and Hv for some advice , he may have developed a slight fear if he has been left on potty for 40 mins !!

• Like 1

I would agree with lashes, maybe he has got worried/anxious about the potty. I would suggest putting him back in nappies and backing off for a bit. Prehaps ask him if he would like to use the toilet when you change him just as a casual question. Its a bit tricky I know if mum says he's doing it at home but with support prehaps she might see that going back a step will help in the long run

My daughter was dry at 2 and my son was 3 1/2 I kept trying him every 3 or 4 months and spent a week focusing on it each time but he was simply not ready and would just wet through clothes without even noticing he was doing it. I am a firm believer that if they are ready then potty training should be easy and a quick process. I would suggest putting him back in pull ups and relaxing for a couple of months without even mentioning it and then trying again.

Deb

Thanks for all the advice! My feeling is that he's just ready too, Its a case of 'all my friends children are trained' and I think mums putting too much pressure on him and herself :(

Time for another word, methinks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)