Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Planning sheet for EYPS standard 1.1

Hi there just tackling standard 1.1, for my EYPS which is.

"Know and understand how children learn and develop and how this can be affected by individual circumstances."

Our tutor has recommended/suggested that we use evidence in the for of an IEP or individual planning sheet for any child, My setting does not have any special needs children at the moment and so are not filling out IEPs, and unfortunately we do not fill out individual learning plans for our children. Does any one do this, if so how often for each child, and do you have a template that you might be able to share. Very much appreciate any help on this.

Thanks all :rolleyes:

If you do not have an individual plan for a special needs child, how about a plan regarding an individual child within the setting.

For instance with the new EYFS we are now giving a written termly summary to parents which has "next steps" kind of on there too.

Do you do something like this to show you are looking at each individual child's needs?

Hi thanks for the fast reply, Love your cat!

I have suggest this to management, it is a great idea, and something I would love to do. Unfortunately we are not doing it at the moment and the manager seems reluctant to take on anything new, as we are soon expecting an ofsted inspection soon and she thinks that the staff will not be able to cope with any changes to the system.

Thanks for your response, finding it a little tricky to implement these necessary changes, will defiantly persevere. :1b

at the moment it would just be the next steps we include on the childrens long obervations, but im really not sure this would be strong enough evidence to prove I am meeting the standard..... :( I do feel that this is an area we really do need to work on in the setting just hard to impliment things in a position where everything needs to be give prior authorization.

Do you think a completed 2 year check with next steps, taking into consideration the childs developmental stage may be suficient evidence for this standard? really appreciate your help and advice.

Could you develop something along the lines of an individual planning format and ask your manager if you could pilot it with a few children for the purposes of the EYPS? In this way if it comes up on the Ofsted, you could also whip it out as something which the setting is developing and if it works well you can lead its implementation for the setting, therefore meeting the "lead and develop others" aspect of the standards (if they still have that in there). In terms of examples there are some good ones and interesting reading in The Reception Year in Action by Anna Ephgrave. Her approach might be a step too far for the setting at this time but it might give you some ideas as to how you could start working towards that idea.

Thanks Holly, that is a great idea, I think I will indeed do that and see, how it goes down. As I said its defiantly something that needs working on and im sure something Ofsted will be looking for, so hopefully the manager will be open to the idea of piolting this. Thanks again for all your great ideas and advice :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How about this one? as attached Individual Activity Plan

On a different note, I need help with a few issues that has arisen in our setting and would like to be brief so as not to bore you.

• does anyone of you operate a "snack bar" and could you give me some feedback on how it is working in your setting. The manager is our setting insist on "snack bar" regardless and staff are unhappy about it - they want some flexibility on this matter. The issues raised are 1) snack bar system takes so much time and by the time the last batch of children finishes their snacks - an hour had gone passed
  • snack bar with a limit of 6 children at a time at a table is causing tears with some other children. When they see 6 children sitting and getting ready for their snacks, while the other children are invited to join in an activity but refused to because they wanted to have snacks like the other 6 children - but manager insisted only 6 at a time - where is the choice in this way?
  • how do you operate your free-flow play while satisfying staff's need to have "key group" time as manager insist on free-flow all the time which staff are finding very chaotic and stressful to manage when children are allowed to go from one room to the next at their own free will throughout the day - apart from when they have lunch together.

Advise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated as these are causing unhappiness to all the staff and does not have the guts to tell the manager because the manager tells them - it is what is required and what ofsted wants us to do and want early years advisers want us to do. HELP! THANK YOU

Individual Activity Plan-Oct '12 -blnk.docx

Goldilocks, thanks for the IA Plan- very detailed, do you do them for each child or just SEN?

re your other issues. I can tell you what we do but think it would be fairer to Camilla if we were to start a new thread about these issues? Do you want to do that?

It will also get you more answers as folks will know what your question is about

Hi Goldilocks,

did you sort out your snack bar and free flowing children? Your manager sounds a little rigid in her thinking. Not free flowing herself.

Anyway, this may be a little late but just to let you know what we do. Our children have free flowing play throughout the whole floor (we operate floor by floor and also outdoor play) but we still have a very short circle time - 15 minutes give or take a minute and snack time all together. We all sit down at two tables and when the children have finished, they can go and play again.

Can't your manager allow that? It is nice for us to get together in a group and a very social way to interact with everyone.

The children have plenty of time allowed for them to explore and play. Don't they have to sit down at home with their families and eat together or can they help themselves whenever they like? Having a bit more structure might make it easier for meal times at home.

Can you get some feedback from parents and ask them how they would like the snack situation to happen?

Kerry

in my preschool room we try and have a 10-15 min circle time first thing in the morning, focused on calendar, weather and what activities will be happening that day, (we have a lot of extra curriculum activities - music, drama, french and football) After that we split into our key groups and do group based adult-led activities for about 20-30 mins followed by group snack time and then the rest of the day is free-flow with adults providing extra or repeating adult-led activities which are available for all children. seems to work when we stick to it, but some days it all goes out the window and free-flow rules. I feel there needs to be a balance of structured and free flow play to ensure that all children are accessing different varieties of activities and experiences. Us doing group work in the morning grabs the children's attention best as we have a few children who have borderline behavioural issues so it helps to have the afternoons free-flow to be able to spend time with these children 1-1.

As for standard 1.1 - I am struggling with this one too. I am planning to use a play plan and a progress summary which includes 'next steps' for each child's learning. good luck with your EYPS.

Edited by Caroline2012

1. How about this one? as attached Individual Activity Plan

On a different note, I need help with a few issues that has arisen in our setting and would like to be brief so as not to bore you. Advise and thoughts would be greatly appreciated as these are causing unhappiness to all the staff and does not have the guts to tell the manager because the manager tells them - it is what is required and what ofsted wants us to do and want early years advisers want us to do. HELP! THANK YOU
    • does anyone of you operate a "snack bar" and could you give me some feedback on how it is working in your setting. The manager is our setting insist on "snack bar" regardless and staff are unhappy about it - they want some flexibility on this matter. The issues raised are 1) snack bar system takes so much time and by the time the last batch of children finishes their snacks - an hour had gone passed

• snack bar with a limit of 6 children at a time at a table is causing tears with some other children. When they see 6 children sitting and getting ready for their snacks, while the other children are invited to join in an activity but refused to because they wanted to have snacks like the other 6 children - but manager insisted only 6 at a time - where is the choice in this way?

• how do you operate your free-flow play while satisfying staff's need to have "key group" time as manager insist on free-flow all the time which staff are finding very chaotic and stressful to manage when children are allowed to go from one room to the next at their own free will throughout the day - apart from when they have lunch together.

This pre 09/2012 continuous provision plan I used to use may be of some help :)snack bar continuous provision.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)