Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy counting table

Hi everyone..i need to setup an interactive numeracy table which is linked to counting and number. Just wondering if anybody has any wow ideas which the chidlren will access independently and something which they will be interested in.

All ideas appreciated.

Please share what you do in you school- this is for a class of 30 reception children.

Sunai

Buttons! I have a large container of mixed buttons bought from eBay and they are put out in the tuff spot and child's love them! I put a range of numbered pots in there and tweezers for the children to find so many of each colour to go in the pot. I do the same with mixed pastas and beans.

Debx

Pre-school, similar to Deb, I have a number of items like buzz lightyear keyrings, pretty shells, etc. and lots of different types of bags and boxes, children are invited to make collections of similar items, count them and find a container big enough to put them in and then find a numbered card to put with their collection.

I HAVE TRIED MOST OF YOUR IDEAS APART FROM THE BUTTONS ONE. thanks for them. just wondering if anyone has got any different ones for number??

One we used to do some while ago - very similar again we had those little net bags that washing tablets came in. Children learnt how to use the toggle on them to open and close the bags and could then fill them with little bricks, we also had a row of hooks along the top of our screen and the children could hang them on there and above them we had velco spots stuck onto the framework and numbered cards with the other half of the velco on. We also did it with luggage labels dangling from the bottom of the net bags and children found the correct number of objects to fill the bags according to the number on the luggage label.

As you rightly imply these activities are very samey! We did numberlines with conkers to be seasonal!

I have a collection of egg boxes with 10 sections only in. children throw a die and collect the required bricks/objects and fill their egg box sections up. It is a quick game, so quite easy to grab reluctant children to have a go, we can ask questions such as how many left to get etc. obviously you can see if they observe spot formations without the need to count each one, they can discuss who has more/less than them, or who has the most to get still.

At snack time we have given each of them a satsuma and they have had to peel it and count the segments, average amount of segments is about 10, so that works quite well for us.

We also have a large box of shredded paper and hide objects in there this is good for counting/ comparing/sorting once they have found the objects.

• Like 1

My children love using the 1 minute sand timer to challenge themsleves with fine motor activities. Picking up dried peas with plastic tweezers, threading beads, making a unifix cube tower, clipping pegs onto the side of a container, linking paperclips etc. When the 1 minute is up they count how many they have managed and try to beat their score next time! They could also record their score and keep it going for the next time.

Claire x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)