Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special Needs In Foundation Class

Hello

I am a newish member to FSF and work in a special school in the Foundation Class. My children have a wide range of very special needs and I was wondering if there was anyone out there in a similiar situation to me to share ideas with please.

At the moment I am trying to update our early years policy and would welcome any help.

thanks a lot

Bev :)

Hi Bev,

Try this site, its free to register, there are hundreds of school policies to peruse and possibly adapt to your setting.

Angie

www.schoolpolicy.co.uk

Hi Bev

Although I'm not woking in a special school I work with Special Needs in Foundation (Mainstream) I am having a new boy in September who has Downs, but I will also be group working with children I have previously supported.

Hope we'll be able to share ideas etc

Jo

Hi Bev,

Try this site, its free to register, there are hundreds of school policies to peruse and possibly adapt to your setting.

Angie

www.schoolpolicy.co.uk

36853[/snapback]

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently working in a new special school in Guernsey (Channel Islands). The new school has brought 3 other schools together. An infant school for MLD children, the primary age pupils from a PMLD school and the junior pupils from another MLD school. I am the foundation stage/reception class teacher. I have at least 3 pupils on the austitic spectrum. Two of have very little spoken language.One pupil working on the TEACHH programme. Four MLD pupils. It is quite a diverse bunch all with specific individual needs. There is myself and one TA but luckily we sometimes get additional help from other members of staff as there are no nursery pupils as yet. As it is a new school and building there are various other teething problems but wonderful potential facilities. I currently only have the pupils in the morning,assisting in year 1 in the afternoons, but this will change soon as we have parents evenings on the 3rd of Qctober so am currently madly writing IEPS. Iwould love to make contact and share ideas. Hope this makes sense written at the end of rather a tiring week.

Suzanne Brown

Hi Bev,

Angie

www.schoolpolicy.co.uk

36853[/snapback]

Unfortunately I received this in an email this week

Hello and welcome to possibly the last School Policy newsletter.

We have a problem.

It has come to our attention that a website offering a similar service was recently sued by a company which sells school policies. The company recognised a small part of its content in one of the policies on the website which was submitted by a school. This company sued for breach of copyright, and was successful in gaining compensation and costs from the school.

We have always taken the view that in submitting a policy the sender/ school was agreeing that they had copyright of the policy and the right to share it publicly. It appears that it may not be as clear cut as this and as we run the site as a free service we cannot afford to be involved in a legal suit with a publisher (especially on teachers wages!)

We have therefore taken the decision to close the site whilst we take stock. We are aware that this will cause inconvenience but hope that you will understand our point of view.

We do however have a core of policies that we know have nothing to do with any published scheme (mainly because we wrote them ourselves). WE HOPE that this could form the basis of a new site but we need YOUR help.

If you have policies that you can vouch for as being your own work and not developed from or containing extracts from published policies you could help us to restart the site. We are sure that within our 10 000 members we could find enough to populate the site.

Please support us in the redevelopment of the site.

Many Thanks

The School Policy Team.

:D

Hi, I am currently working in a new special school in Guernsey (Channel Islands). The new school has brought 3 other schools together. An infant school for MLD children, the primary age pupils from a PMLD school and the junior pupils from another MLD school. I am the foundation stage/reception class teacher. I have at least 3 pupils on the austitic spectrum. Two of have very little spoken language.One pupil working on the TEACHH programme. Four MLD pupils. It is quite a diverse bunch all with specific individual needs. There is myself and one TA but luckily we sometimes get additional help from other members of staff as there are no nursery pupils as yet. As it is a new school and building there are various other teething problems but wonderful potential facilities. I currently only have the pupils in the morning,assisting in year 1 in the afternoons, but this will change soon as we have parents evenings on the 3rd of Qctober so am currently madly writing IEPS. Iwould love to make contact and share ideas. Hope this makes sense written at the end of rather a tiring week.

Suzanne Brown

38557[/snapback]

Hi Suzanne

Would love to share ideas. I have 10 little treasures this year 6 reception and 4 nursery i.e 3 PMLD, 3 autistic, 1 with Retts, 1 with Angelmans and 2 with CP.

They're brilliant and we have such a great time with our learning. Have just got a new outdoor play space which we are developing at the moment.

I have loads of ideas, but planning gives me so many grey hairs, anyway hope to hear from you soon

love

Bev

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Bev,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. We are encouraged to use the Equals curriculum this takes the national curriculum and adapts it for special needs pupils. I have taken some of the suggestions for maths activities. We also take part in Write Dance once a week. This is a programme of teaching that firmly links the development of handwriting skills to movement of the whole body to rhythm. It was developed in Sweden by a Dutch graphologist and is used in schools in Sweden, Germany, Denmark and Holland. The part of the scheme available in Britain develops pre-writing skills; teaching movements and marks that make up cursive writing. I have used some of continuous provsion documents on the web site as part of my planning to cover sand, water, home corner etc.

This half term I have used 2 simple rhymes for literacy as the requirement was to cover nursery rhymes. These were Sally go round the Sun and Daddy's in the milk jug. After half term we will be looking at traditional tales. I have decided to cover The 3 Little Pigs and Goldilocks and the 3 Bears and then it will be The Christmas story. A few of my pupils are able to take part in some phonics work. One pupil is still identifying and discriminating between different musical and everyday sounds.

Two pupils will be starting with P.E.C.S.

I have asked pupils to bring in photos of their family and house and we are making individual books for pupils all about themselves.

Life is quite hectic in our class sometimes we have extra help from the nursery staff. Unfortunately we are currently are unable to have snack time in our classroom so have to take pupils to the dining room which is rather a nightmare.

I have recently been to London on an introduction to P.E.C.S. course which was very useful.

Sorry about the rambling.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Suzanne

:o

Dear Bev,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. We are encouraged to use the Equals curriculum this takes the national curriculum and adapts it for special needs pupils. I have taken some of the suggestions for maths activities. We also take part in Write Dance once a week. This is a programme of teaching that firmly links the development of handwriting skills to movement of the whole body to rhythm. It was developed in Sweden by a Dutch graphologist and is used in schools in Sweden, Germany, Denmark and Holland. The part of the scheme available in Britain develops pre-writing skills; teaching movements and marks that make up cursive writing. I have used some of continuous provsion documents on the web site as part of my planning to cover sand, water, home corner etc.

This half term I have used 2 simple rhymes for literacy as the requirement was to cover nursery rhymes. These were Sally go round the Sun and Daddy's in the milk jug. After half term we will be looking at traditional tales. I have decided to cover The 3 Little Pigs and Goldilocks and the 3 Bears and then it will be The Christmas story. A few of my pupils are able to take part in some phonics work. One pupil is still identifying and discriminating between different musical and everyday sounds.

Two pupils will be starting with P.E.C.S.

I have asked pupils to bring in photos of their family and house and we are making individual books for pupils all about themselves.

Life is quite hectic in our class sometimes we have extra help from the nursery staff. Unfortunately we are currently are unable to have snack time in our classroom so have to take pupils to the dining room which is rather a nightmare.

I have recently been to London on an introduction to P.E.C.S. course which was very useful.

Sorry about the rambling.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Suzanne

41133[/snapback]

Hi Suzanne

Would love to share ideas. I have 10 little treasures this year 6 reception and 4 nursery i.e 3 PMLD, 3 autistic, 1 with Retts, 1 with Angelmans and 2 with CP.

They're brilliant and we have such a great time with our learning. Have just got a new outdoor play space which we are developing at the moment.

I have loads of ideas, but planning gives me so many grey hairs, anyway hope to hear from you soon

love

Bev

38601[/snapback]

Hello again Suzanne glad to hear about your class. This term we are doing a bit on Bonfire Night, the circus, then moving on to winter/Christmas. As always we will be busy but I'm sure we will have lots of fun in the process. I am also welcoming a new little one who is supported by the ventilation team, so we will again be on a steep learning curve.

Staff training is on the learning environment, and I have to re write our early years policy. Do you struggle to write a policy, or is it just me? Hopefully I will be able to get some examples of others and then try and make it suitable for us?

Anyway half term is nearly over so I am just finishing off IEP targets and planning, then if all works out ok I can have some free time tomorrow!!!!!

Hope to hear from you soon

love

Bev

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again Suzanne glad to hear about your class. This term we are doing a bit on Bonfire Night, the circus, then moving on to winter/Christmas. As always we will be busy but I'm sure we will have lots of fun in the process. I am also welcoming a new little one who is supported by the ventilation team, so we will again be on a steep learning curve.

Staff training is on the learning environment, and I have to re write our early years policy. Do you struggle to write a policy, or is it just me? Hopefully I will be able to get some examples of others and then try and make it suitable for us?

Anyway half term is nearly over so I am just finishing off IEP targets and planning, then if all works out ok I can have some free time tomorrow!!!!!

love

Bev

41753[/snapback]

Dear Bev,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I hope you have been able to finish your policy. I am afraid I have not had any experience of this. Things are still quite hectic in our class. Sometimes we have lots of help which is useful especially with the P.E.C.S. work but on Wednesday and Friday there is mostly just myself and my T.A. which is quite stressful as many of our pupils need a 1 to 1.

What do you use to guide your planning? Do you find the foundation stage curriculum very useful for pupils with complex needs or those on the austic spectrum?

What planning documents do you have to supply?

I have enclosed some maths weekly plans, an english term plan and a weekly plan for other aspects of the curriculum.

I hope things are going well with your pupils especially the one supported by the ventilation team.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Suzanne

love

Bev

41753[/snapback]

Dear Bev,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I hope you have been able to finish your policy. I am afraid I have not had any experience of this. Things are still quite hectic in our class. Sometimes we have lots of help which is useful especially with the P.E.C.S. work but on Wednesday and Friday there is mostly just myself and my T.A. which is quite stressful as many of our pupils need a 1 to 1.

What do you use to guide your planning? Do you find the foundation stage curriculum very useful for pupils with complex needs or those on the austic spectrum?

I have enclosed some maths weekly plans, an english term plan and a weekly plan for other aspects of the curriculum.

I hope things are going well with your pupils especially the one supported by the ventilation team.

Suzanne

love

Bev

41753[/snapback]

Dear Bev,

Suzanne

love

Bev

41753[/snapback]

Dear Bev,

Suzanne

Dear Bev,

What do you use to guide your planning? Do you find the foundation stage curriculum very useful for pupils with complex needs or those on the autistic spectrum?

Suzanne

Sorry will now enclose attachments and have realised my unusual spelling of autistic!!!

42934[/snapback]

Shortterm_planning1.doc

Literacy_Planning_for_all_of_Autumn05.doc

14.11.05_M_H_J_doc.doc

14.11.05_T1_Maths.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)