Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multilingual Posters, A Link And A Request

I have been making a welcome poster for at home (as a childminder) and found this site

http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/welcome.htm

I wanted to use the languages that are most likely to be spoken here (which TBH isn't many) but have a question...

I realise that the likelihood of Chinese and Travelling families using a minder is very very low but even so, as well as Portugese, these are the main 2 other 'cultures' here. I have put Mandarin on my poster but wondered what others have? Also there are various different Traveller languages - altho the ones here seem to speak English. So wish I hadn't started and had just bought one ready made and taken the choice out of my hands!!!

Hi Pandamonium,

I ordered multi lingual pamphlets from DFES recently ( Parent info on the FSC), showed them to the Mum of an Asian boy we have and she said none of them were her language xD and she also said she would rather we only speak English to her Son ( at all times).

As the site shows, there are 800 languages and then many dialects within these. Whilst scrolling down the list for "hello " I could have sworn I saw "Liverpudlian" until I had a closer look :o

I shall use the site address to show Ofsted that I have access to a language resource but I have found, as I am sure you have, that the best source of info regarding language is from the Parents. They appreciate it if I ask questions and want to learn a few words that are "relevant" to the child, this includes Makaton for a child who also recently started.

I'd be interested to see the completed welcome poster though. :D

Peggy

Interesting about that mum. If I was abroad, I would want that language spoken to my child too tbh but having said that to see staff had bothered to ask/find out about my home language would be nice!

My poster is only A4 and only has the languages I think I may come across where I live.... not too fancy - has my panda logo in the middle and a bit of wordart!

we can't attach files here can we?

I have been making a welcome poster for at home (as a childminder) and found this site

http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/welcome.htm

I wanted to use the languages that are most likely to be spoken here (which TBH isn't many) but have a question...

I realise that the likelihood of Chinese and Travelling families using a minder is very very low but even so, as well as Portugese, these are the main 2 other 'cultures' here. I have put Mandarin on my poster but wondered what others have? Also there are various different Traveller languages - altho the ones here seem to speak English. So wish I hadn't started and had just bought one ready made and taken the choice out of my hands!!!

36721[/snapback]

Try

http://www.positive-identity.com

or

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Edited by MARl0N

Pandamonium - you can attach files. Below the box you entre your post click on Browse and call up the file your poster is in then attach it and add reply.

Thanks for those sites and the how to attach info...

Hopefully I've attached my poster so far. Still a work in progress as I'm not happy with the layout but you get the idea!

LOL it's so 'in progress' I hadn't even named the file!

OK another tech question - when I opened it to check it was the right one before attaching it opened in my word viewer..? I had downloaded that when I didn't have word on my pc but I made this poster in word... Does that make ANY sense?!!

Doc1.doc

If I am not wrong :o , it will open in Word because you did create it in Word. If you did not have Word now in your PC, then you wouldn't be able to open it... but for what I understand, in this moment, you do have it installed. Right?

Thx Peggy! Bit basic really but TBH that's what I wanted! As a childminder I think it is nicer to have a personal touch and one of our mindies actually does have a Portugese speaking dad so.... I will check this evening that I have it right!

As to the word viewer thing I still don't get it but at least I can 'open for editing' which I couldn't do before I did have word installed. I wonder if it's cos I haven't uninstalled the old wp programme? Will try that I think!

All sorts of things open up on my computer, this is because different programms write to each other, don't worry about it unless you know someone who knows what they are doing.

Poster looks great.

Thanks for positive comments you guys  :o I thought it was a bit lame so it was nice that anyone bothered to comment at all!!!

36886[/snapback]

I think its all too easy to get carried away with the bells and whistles: often simple is best, if you want to get a clear message across.

And think of the money you've saved creating a poster personalised to your own needs and those of the children in your care!

More power to your elbow!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)