Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toys

Covering toys this term and am struggling to find craft activities ideas for old toys.

Anyone have any ideas. Also does anyone know of a good www which covers old toys. Have searched but mostly found adults aimed at collectors.

Net x

:oxD

hi, i came across these plans on the internet when i did the toys theme, some really good ideas including old and new toys activities. i think its from the norfolk council website.

hope they help.

toys.doc

Thanks Mimi, never heard of it but unfortunately bit of a long way to go for a trip and thanks clk7, I have seen thiis planning but was looking for more ideas rather than the planning.

One 3 weeks of the planning covers toys from the past, like making spinning tops, spectrum wheels etc but was looking for more unusual things.

net x

I have the Scholastic History book with CD-Rom which has pictures and activities for old toys. If you want I could probably email you the pictures. They were quite useful when I did that topic last year.

our children always love looking at Russian dolls when we do toys. :D

36818[/snapback]

I leave Russian dolls out on a cupboard and the children are always drawn to them. Great resource for problem solving and sorting by size.

Net

Last year when I did Toys we invited the parents in and asked them to bring some of their own old toys or photos of them playing when they were young and asked if they could ask grandparents too for these resources.

We then had 20 minutes at the beginning of a session where these were shared. The children loved it. I took photos as evidence. It worked really well and is certainly something I would do again.

Regards Lynda

Sorry forgot to say- Russian dolls reminded me-

There's a fantastic set of different sized round boxex in Ikea and I have them in my Maths area. We used them for matching toys to boxes for 'size' work. The children just like using them for lots of different reasons anyway.

Lynda

We make jumping jacks, finger puppets, Jack in a box (the children love these and they work really well) Invite parents and grandparents to bring in their toys from the past and talk about them to the children. Will have a look through my topic folder to see if their were any more ideas for you.

Wow, thank you all for such fab ideas.

Never thought of a russian doll and I have one in my loft. I already have some parents coming in with their old toys. I am brining in my old rupert the bear puppet and my sisters fisher price wind up tv that plays london bridge is falling down and her FP wind up record player. When I got it out of the loft my son asked why the cd's where made of plastic.

Nichola, if you could send me some old toy pics, I would really appreciate it.

Scampbell, how do you make the jack in a box

Net x

:D:D

Sure, I'll try and sort that tomorrow morning for you and get them emailed or put on here :)

My class had access to one of my favourite childhood toys at all times. Teddy Charlotte is as old as me and the kids were able to go and sit in the quiet corner with her if they were feeling sad or down. It worked really well and she was treated with great respect.

Hi Net,

Jack in a boxes are simple they are made by a net cube made to the size of A3 paper and then you use two strips of paper to consoltine together to make the spring. Glue the bottom end into the cube and glue a ping pong ball that has been decorated with a face and wool for hair to the top end of the spring and then close the lid. They are great fun to make!

Good luck if you have a go with them, enjoy your toys topic !

We made a simple cup and ball game using a cut plastic bottle (2 litre) we made a hole then attached some string on the other end of the string the children scrunched a ball of silver foil. You could decorate the platic afterwards?

Does this make sense..... it's very early in the morning!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)