Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keyworkers In Early Years Units And Policies

Hi

I run a school based Early Years Unit with 15 Reception children and 28 nursery children. Reception are in all day, nursery mornings only. There are 2 teachers and 3TAs. I was wondering what other schools do regarding keyworker systems, particularly with regards to the changes in EYFS. Also how much responsibilitiy do you give to the TAs?

Does anyone have a policy for a school setting on keyworkers?

Many thanks

MH

• 3 weeks later...

HI we have 33 reception children and 23 nursery children (we are a predominantly army school hence 33, children come and go!) 2 teachers 2 NNEB and 2x TA as well as 2x 1:1, Nursery in mornings and reception all day. Ix NNEB and 2x TA go home at lunchtime.

We have 3 groups for nursery children covered by 1 teacher (well 2x part time) 1 TA and 1x NNEB and 5 'working' groups for the reception children, myself (0.6) my other half (0,4) and 1x NNEB cover the Reception children with a nominal, staff member as Keyworker (we pretty much all deal with all children and do their learning journeys), the TA is very new so settling her in at the moment.

Nursery children are in 3x groups with allocated keyworkers, they are expected to update learning journeys and to follow daily plans which include directed tasks.

does that help?

Kaz

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I'm very new to fs units and have been asked to look into setting one up in our school. We have a reception class of 30 and 26 nursery (half in morning half in afternoon)

I don't know much about the key worker system? How does that work?

We will have 2 teachers so should one be 'reception' and the other be 'nursery'? Or is this missing the point!?

Thank you!

No not missing the point. In my opinion a Reception class and a Nursery class will always need a teacher as the main person responsible for their welfare, education and progress regardless of what something says.

Keep it simple.

No not missing the point. In my opinion a Reception class and a Nursery class will always need a teacher as the main person responsible for their welfare, education and progress regardless of what something says.

Keep it simple.

And it's part of their pay and conditions/teachers standards really as a QT. Key worker is a different thing to a key person, which is what the EYFs requires...in a school you have less staff so it isn't the same necessarily as when ratios are as low as elsewhere.

Cx

Keyworker - somebody assigned to a family/ child who works as part of a multi agency team to meet specific welfare/developmental needs of a child/ family, may attend case conferences, do one to one work etc. e.g, social worker, health visitor, outreach worker, youth worker, etc. Key worker has nothing to do with the EYFS, they may contribute to TAC/ TAF/CAF meetings etc.

Keyperson (EYFS) - somebody assigned to work with a group of children in an early years setting (children from birth to five.), they may get involved in multi agency working to share information about the child/ family but the keyperson's primary role is within the guidelines of the EYFS.

Very different roles.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)