Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Chart And Advice Needed Please

we have a very difficult cohort this year, with one autistic boy, and girl who has screaming tantrums but is improving, one boy who has mega tantrums, arching his back and flinging his head back, and also banging his head on the floor or door in temper, e,g, when he can't turn the tap off (he does not appear to have any issues with speech/understanding etc), and finally one boy who we were told may be autistic from nurture group, who is causing us the most problem.......... he doesn't really settle to anything, likes 1-1, loves doing 'jobs', likes tidying up, is ok at carpet time, apart from sometimes doing silly mumbly singing! but the rest of the time he is 'winding up' certain children, often the 3 above. he had 2 time outs today, for throwing toys around deliberately and shoving a girl over. i want to make some sort of behaviour chart as a visual reminder. we are focussing on throwing and hurting, as they are the ones where a child could get hurt. he has also broken up the train track being played with by a group of children and flooded one set of toilets as he put his fingers up the taps. he has done this a couple of times and knows it's wrong. i don't want him to be getting all our attention, as all children have a right to our time. whoevers room he is in can't relax or take their eyes off him. we have freeflow in and out for 2 hours so he gets the chance to 'let off steam'. any ideas or charts would be gratefully received x

Edited by sooty99

Does he like stories? I If so you could write a social story, with simple pictues and tell him it's his special book, then read together and read every time you have such an incident. Make the story very specific and very simple.

When I am at school I must not throw toys. Sometimes I might get cross. If I get cross I must tell my teacher xxx. etc. You need to decide on the most unwanted (or dangerous) behavious and not a long long list. I am sure a true social stories expert can advise you further on this. Your LEA SENCO advisor, or local ED Psych team, or ASD team may even help you write the story of you give them a call

Edited by eyfs1966

Hi

signing and visuals help including sand timers etc.. for turntaking signing emotions etc...

then and now board may work visual pictures of what you are going to do now and then what comes after.

we have at the moment a tally chart that logs all incidents of presenting behaviour so we can see if there are any day that are easier or worse. It also provides you with evidence of what you are dealing with if you need to get others involved.

have you got a tap outside that he could play with so you can say that the one inside is not acceptable if you want to play with water/tap lets find the one we can use that kind of thing.

Pillows/cushions or angry toy also work these items need to be specific for the child and the same on each time and they can use this to kick, punch, throw etc... when they need to calm down then you can talk to them.

any of that any help?

not interested in books at all i'm afraid. maybe if it has his photo he might be though. thanks for ideas, lots to try here. have used most before with other children and will try with him. will be referring him to IDS if nothing changes in next few weeks. sounds like you think he is autistic then? we do use a timer and he happily waits then will have his turn for a few seconds then go off. so he didn't really want a go.......... feel better for my rant!!!!!! x

Hi

I sympathise my son is autistic and we also have children at my setting that present with similar symptoms. You need to consider the sensory situation so is he being over or under stimulated ?? Also with my son he 'wound people ' up because he actually enjoyed the reaction that came after from the child and the adult. Try to not rise to the bait, choose your battles and talk to him when hes calm and reasonable otherwise it will go in one ear and out the other. Do a reward system for the times hes doing what you want but make it an instant reward. Hope that helps and good luck but def tap into your local support team and look at the autistic societys earlybird course which is absolutley fantastic xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)