Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios

I think I know the answer to this one, but I am willing and happy to be corrected!

I work in a nursery which is part of a primary school.

As far as I'm aware, the teacher can work to the ratio for 1:13

As a level 3 (I actually have BA Hons) I can work to the ratio 1:8

so if there are only us two in the room, is it right that we can only have 21 children?

Can anyone point me in an official direction to check?

TIA

Guest ShelleyT

This is from the Statutory EYFS 2012 document:

3.32 For children aged three and over in registered early years provision

operating between 8 am and 4pm where a person with Qualified Teacher

Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6

qualification (which is full and relevant) is working directly with the children:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children; and

• at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3

qualification.

Note that it says at least one member of staff for every 13 children, not one teacher for every 13 children. When a teacher works in a Nursery, you can have 26 children with 2 adults, as long as the other adult has level 3.

Hope that helps,

Shelley

This is from the Statutory EYFS 2012 document:

3.32 For children aged three and over in registered early years provision

operating between 8 am and 4pm where a person with Qualified Teacher

Status, Early Years Professional Status or another suitable level 6

qualification (which is full and relevant) is working directly with the children:

• there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children; and

• at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3

qualification.

Note that it says at least one member of staff for every 13 children, not one teacher for every 13 children. When a teacher works in a Nursery, you can have 26 children with 2 adults, as long as the other adult has level 3.

Hope that helps,

Shelley

That's for registered provision though. Nursery ratios in schools is 2:26, 1 QTS and 1 level 3 or above. The amount of qualification above Level 3 won't matter but you have to have the person with QTS.

3.36 For children aged three and over in maintained nursery schools and nursery classes in maintained schools (except for children in reception classes):

• there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children;

• at least one member of staff must be a school teacher as defined by Section 122 of the Education Act 2002 and the Education (School Teachers’ Qualifications) (England) Regulations 2003; and

• at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)