Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Read Write Inc

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use RWI for phonics. I have been asked to try this way by my SMT but am missing the Jolly Phonic songs and actions. I am trialling this with my youngest year 1's while my new reception class settles. Any wise words from someone would be welcome... :blink: Have had no training and no - we are not doing it across the whole school but I wanted to show willing to try something new.

Why can't you do both? I taught reception in a very read write inc school and they were still using the jolly phonics actions and songs alongside rwi. The actions really help children to learn the sounds and if something works so well, why get rid altogether.

Deb

My school follows the Read Write Inc programme but I have kept Jolly Phonics and Letters and Sounds in Early Years because I felt that it was much better suited to their style of learning. Luckily our Linking Sounds and Letters came out well last year so I have managed to keep going as I would like to this year!! I worry that Read Write Inc is to prescribed for such young children.

Guest Greenhouse

I absolutely LOVE read write inc!

Even got to meet Ruth Miskin and got slightly over excited!!

However I still use Jolly phonics and I find they work well together, plus all the staff are familliar with the sounds and actions, which make it easier for adults to deliver sessions with confidence, seemed daft to re-learn something that worked so well.

I think RWI is great. I had fantastic results with my class last year. We started yesterday with our current reception classes!

If it helps there is a DVD which you can watch which gives you the outline of the programme. We use it with new members of staff before we sit down and talk it through.

The kids really respond the Fred and the praise phrases!

It is prescriptive but you can still make it fun. Personally I would be wary of mixing two programmes but that's just my view.

Becs

At my school they made up their own actions to support the kinaesthetic learners during phonics sessions, making sure that there was a link between the picture mnemonic and the action. For instance we jump like a kangaroo for 'k', we hold and mime biting an apple for 'a'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)