Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help...very Disruptive Class!

Please help! Half of my year R class are very disruptive and destructive. I have tried positive praise, stickers, smiley face, 1:1 attention, small group circle times, whole class circle times but none of this works. The core problem seems to be that they fight a lot with each other and can be v.physical involving 2+ children at times and unlike previous classes they don't seem to care about their friends at all. 22 out of 30 came from the same preschool and I was informed fighting was an issue but it was put down to their age and being boys! I know it is still early days but I have never had a class like this. Any tips would be gratefully received! :1b

Any chance of starting the day with lots of outdoor physical play?? Sounds a nightmare! Think a number of reception class teachers may be pulling their hair out receiving groups of boisterous boys brought up on lots of outdoor fun and frolics (but hopefully not fighting) the Eyfs way! I know our feeder school teacher was more than stressed when she realised her classroom set up was not going to appeal on transition! Unfortunately the 'gap' between provisions is not always bridged....children now have LOTS of free play outdoors at pre school that helps use up all that energy and it doesnt just disappear during the school hols making them ready to sit and listen in class. Just a thought. Good luck.

when i had reception a few years ago, children would have free play when they came in, then once parents had gone we had free flow in and out to allow children to be ready for carpet time. that met their needs, and my last year there the class were very physical. after carpet time we split the class so one of us would be in with 15, and the other out, then the children would swap. then the same in the afternoon and the other adult would go out. we found free flow with 30 and our garden area being small did not work, as there could be all 30 out or in, making it hard to do small group work/group reading etc by splitting the class in half you could split the 2 most disruptive children at least and it might dilute the problem. do any of them have special needs that need addressing? have preschool given you any advice of tactics which work? i'm in nursery now and would never blame behaviour on age and sex. it is all of our jobs to support the prime area of psed by addressing aggressive behaviour and enabling children to think what they could do instead. poor you x

I had a class last year with lots of boys and we needed to have regular breaks throughout the day when we took them to the big school playground where they could run freely and let off steam. I love watching children when they arrive a wide open space and they just run!

Guest tinkerbell

I have a small class of 22 but 4 very loud,running in side ,boistorous,non sharing boys....1 very bossy girl.One of the boys smacks all the time and will snap toys eg playmobil ambulance door! teaching geared clock just snapped the long hand off, indestructible sand timers actually have a glass inner and yes he managed to break that?(he is on a behaviour chart.)

I have seperated the children into 4 groups,yes one of the boys in each group! The first week was very much free flow but now we are homing in and calling the groups to the adult led activity ,we also have a limited number on each area and when I set them off I choose those sitting well to go off first (making sure the mixes will work )of course they then mix and move around b ut it has had a smooth start and |I or my TA can get in to support play.sitting for story they are brilliant,and they can sit well fro fruit,and circle time.

Just persevere lots of physical outdoor play when possible but perhaps have a focus so its not 'free for all'? parachute games is my idea for this week.

It certainly makes the day interesting :D

Thank you all! We currently have child initiated from the moment they arrive and they do generally choose our outdoor area (which is smaller than pre schools). We take groups of 6 to do directed activities throughout the day but always have the other adult supporting child initiated. I will try having a set number to go outdoors at a time and focussing child initiated more. I also liked the idea of giving them time to just run around the big playground. I think having previous classes that were very independent at making good choices in their own time to going to this class has been a bit of a shock (even compared to my 17 boys and 6 girls last year!)

Thanks again and I look forward to trying some of these ideas out :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)