Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interpreting Development Matters

Hi can anyone tell me what would do if you had observed a four year old completeing a complex puzzle, however when looking at the development matters in 16-26 months it mentions completeing puzzles sometimes successfully however this child is working at a higher level than simply attempting the puzzle but there is no further mention of this skills in the higher age brackets. Someone has said to just mark the observation at the level you feel they are working in this area of learning but im not sure that works help please 

Remember the Dev's are a guide not a checklist so the fact he can do it and it isn't a statement is not a problem. You need to look at the wider picture so if he is at a more complex level than the statement indicated in 16 - 26mth that meanshe is likely to be developing in one of the latter stages.

Part of the reason why they say don't use the dev's as a checklist is because you will see things not listed and you need to look at these things as well and take them into account to gage roughly where you think this child is. I would estimate he/she is developing within 40 - 60mths area but not knowing anything else about the child I will leave that judgement to you!

• Like 2

30-50 MONTHS SSM use shapes appropriately for tasks.....imo its about shape space and orientation. If a child can do a jigsaw that requires working out the orientation then they are beyond the fitting into a shape sorter or form board and are choosing the correct shape to complete the puzzle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)