Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Reports

Just finishing off nursery reports for children going onto school, does anyone actually find these useful? Do they ever make it into the teachers hands? Or do they stay in some file at the back of the office......always wondered.

We are situated on a school site and I am also a TA in the reception class once a week. I know the reception teacher and her classroom assistant read the reports I give to her and she says they are useful, especially as we indicate what stepping stone the child is working in at the time they leave us.

I have heard of other reception teachers in different schools who do not read the reports.

Carol

Edited by Carol

Just finishing off nursery reports for children going onto school, does anyone actually find these useful? Do they ever make it into the teachers hands? Or do they stay in some file at the back of the office......always wondered.

36502[/snapback]

As a reception teacher I am always grateful for any information from a child's previous setting. Usually I get the chance to read these over the summer holidays. Its much more difficult when I get new children with no infomation and have to start totally from scratch to assess their needs.

So thank you on behalf of all reception teacher's. We appreciate your efforts.

I also teach in Reception and make a point of reading all the children's reports. Sometimes if they are sent via post they do not always reach my hands and are filed straight into the children's assessment folders which are kept in the office.

Its really good to see that many of you read the reports we send through to reception teachers - I have often wondered whether they get read or are filed away. They can certainly take a long time to prepare and I also think it's nice for a parent to have a copy of their first report. I always make it personal rather than just state what they have achieved and try to couch it so that the teachers can gain an understanding of the personality of the child, their likes, dislikes, what motivates them etc. As our adult child ratios are less it is often easier for us to spend time working out what motivates some of the "busier" or "quieter" children. Once we have established this then life becomes much easier, but in a class of 30 perhaps this is not always the easiest thing to do initally and it may prove helpful - what do you think?

It was really rewarding for me when I had prepared a report for a child who was leaving nursery for a new school in another county. The teacher had remarked to the parent that this was one of the best reports she had seen and she actually asked the parent to relay this to me. She said that she was able to tell from the report that I knew the child really well and that this would help in her understanding of the child when she came in. This is not to sound my own trumpet but to say how good it feels when someone actually complements you. Sometimes it does feel that you spend a lot of upaid personal time preparing these reports for them only to disappear down into some big black hole so it then makes it all worthwhile to receive some feedback. So thank you for all those teachers who take time to read them.

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)