Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq 4

Can anyone help me, please?

I qualified as an NNEB in 1998 and due to recent rumours about this not possibly being the equivalent of level 2 I have thought about doing Nvq level 4. However a local training provider has advised me to do the level 3 as level 4 is not for me, as it is more for management (I am the deputy manager in a private day nursery). Yet I have seen level 4 promoted as being for experienced practitioners who wish to advance.

I do not really want to do level 3 as I feel I have covered much of this when taking the NNEB and through courses I have attended since - am I wrong and is level 3 totally different.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this as I am finding I am being given different answers depending on who I talk to at the training providers?

Hope this makes sense, it has been a long, hot day.

Karen

Hi,

With an NNEB and 7 yrs+ experience, if I were you I'd opt straight for the Early Years Foundation Degree.

In my experience I did the ADCE (Advanced Diploma in Childcare & Education) it included a 9000 word dissertation and at the time I did it, 1998, I was told it was a level 4...well now it seems it is only classed as level 3.

I employed a 21 yr old who had the NNEB and went straight into the Foundation Degree, if she was able to complete it then you should have no problem with your years of experience. The Degree also opens doors for fast track teacher status if required.

I personally think that NVQ is about "proving" ability and Degree study is more about learning more indepth and having a "valued" qualification that stands the test of time.

I do not mean to offend anyone doing an NVQ, but as an employer and previous assessor the standards of NVQ people is too variable and not consistent. ( depending on support, the quality of the place they did their placement/assessment, the quality of assessor knowledge/assessment etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide and there is always someone on here to support you in your studies.

Peggy

just like to add that there was quite a long debate/topic on this forum bout the "status" of NNEB's and I think the conclusion, supported by DFES was that it is equivalent to Level 3, so I was surprised when you state it at Level 2. Maybe someone can provide a link to the discussion. ( sorry, don't know how to) or try a search under "NNEB".

Peggy

Sorry - I knew it wouldn't make sense, but couldn't see where I was going wrong!

I actually meant that I had heard that the NNEB was level 3, but that the Nvq level 3 was a better qualification.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Karen

I personally think NNEB is better than NVQ level 3 because of my own personal opinion of what I stated earlier. How do you feel about going straight for the Degree?

There has again been quite a lot of discussion about the degree on the forum.

Peggy

Karen - please don't think that any one Level 3 Qualification is 'better' than another - they aren't!! They are all Level 3 and that's all employers should be looking for!

NVQs were introduced for a different purpose which required industries to set up standards so competency could be verified..... there's an article somewhere.........

Sue :D

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. :D:D:D

It looks like I am going to be spending yet more time searching the forum for past articles - still it beats doing the ironing, dusting, gardening, cleaning the car, vacuuming, mopping the floor etc - the only trouble is I get easily sidetracked on to other interesting articles and time just flies.

Karen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)