Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Construction

Anyone got any ideas on how to enhance our indoor construction area? The children are never interested AT ALL in this area indoors. Outside is a different matter - they love building with the planks, crates, tubes etc... but show no interest indoors. I just can't think of anyway to make it more interesting!

Suppose it depends on what you have there at present - and how much room the children have to build ? We have a fairly large semi-enclosed space with a range of community playthings wooden blocks/planks/boards and large carpet tubes but we also have a drawer unit with small world people/animals/cars/trains etc all in the same area. There are posters of buildings/ builders and other provocations and we also have a small bookcase with a range of books which link and a set of clipboards and pencils ( there are also tools in this area).The children mix and mingle and use whatever they choose depending on what they are building.

It's well used and both the boys and girls are imaginative in this area.

• Like 1

Hi

I am a new member and this is my first post, but here goes. We have quite a large area, with wooden communitiy blocks, large and small as well as another unit with open ended resources with plastic tubes, curtain rings, light sockets, etc these were picked up from different scrap places. We change these around every now and then with one backet with a selction of material, keys, wooden animals, dinosaurs, etc being change weekly or when the children's lose interest.

We have found that really having an adult in the area or sitting where we might hae other construction sets is the best way to gain the children's interest.

Sorry forgot we also have a basket on the floor with hard hats, real tools such as meauring tapes, levels, etc, building plans and waistcoats - boys love these and have used the plans to build their own houses etc.

hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)