Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trackers

Hi again!

I am really interested in your views about trackers. Are they useful or a waste of time? If you don't use them, how do you show which areas of the curriculum have been accessed during free play?

Anne,

Sorry to appear a little thick, but what do you mean by trackers?  I'm not a teacher so excuse me if this is obvious!

36367[/snapback]

Hi, thanks for your reply! I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong!!

By a tracker, I mean a way of recording what children are choosing in their free play.

Me again!!!

I seem to remember a topic which included this ages ago... Maybe someone - Carol, now she's back???? - might find it and put in a link for you, otherwise, I'll have a go at finding it, but "I might be gone for some time", as the indomitable Captain Oates said..... :o

Sue :D

I agree with Hali,

I did a "tracking observation" once which included all children and staff, it showed clearly that when staff start to move around, and not sit with children, the children lose focus and move around too. The symbolic representation of the tracking obs was quite emphatic because the page looked like spaghetti junction with all the different movements compared to the few lines drawn when all were seated. ( does this make sense :o )

Peggy

I have come across settings that use a form of self-registration by the children every time they enter a new area or zone. On the wall or clipboard, the children mark themselves in (using ticks next to their name/picture) and at the end of the session, the staff can analyse where the children have visited and, probably more importantly where they haven't visited and can think why this is so?

This also helps when certain areas have limits on numbers of children i..e. sand/water as children can easily see how many are 'signed in' and can work out if there is space (mathematical problem solving plus point for Ofsted?!)

I have come across settings that use a form of self-registration by the children every time they enter a new area or zone.  On the wall or clipboard, the children mark themselves in (using ticks next to their name/picture) and at the end of the session, the staff can analyse where the children have visited and, probably more importantly where they haven't visited and can think why this is so?

This also helps when certain areas have limits on numbers of children i..e. sand/water as children can easily see how many are 'signed in' and can work out if there is space (mathematical problem solving plus point for Ofsted?!)

36402[/snapback]

I like the sound of this as we use self-registration anyway so the existing children are used to this way of working.

Hi again!

I am really interested in your views about trackers. Are they useful or a waste of time? If you don't use them, how do you show which areas of the curriculum have been accessed during free play?

36305[/snapback]

Hi,

We track any children causing us concern. mainly for SEN, "crazy kids" or "avoiders" we then try to include them in next day planning if there is a need.

I personally feel 10 min bursts during the free play part offer valuable insight

Goose

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)