Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Plan

Hi does anyone have a plan for phonics the wouldn't mind sharing for the start of reception. I am assessing for a week before I start phase 2 but what should I plan for assessment week? x

Hi KatherineH,

Are you planning on assessing them on all of the Phase 1 aspects or just some of them?

As it is the first week of school, we will be doing as similar sort of thing through a variety of Phonics games rather than a 'formal' type of assessment. Things such as Silly Soup are always popular and help you to get a good idea of rhyme, alliteration and a start with identifying initial phonemes and even maybe graphemes.

Cross the river is another useful one for blending - "You can cross the magic river if you have got a c-a-t. Who has got the c-a-t?"

You could perhaps play these games in small groups with another member of staff observing and recording so you can completely focus on what you or doing, whilst the other children participated in independent activities.

We will also be putting similar activities out during child initiated times which will also inform our assessments. It will soon become clear which children are secure with Phase 1 and are ready to move on to Phase 2 and those who would benefit from more time working at Phase 1.

I hope this is helpful in some way!

Hi,

First post for me but I am finding this whole forum invaluable. I will be starting in Reception (as FS leader) in September, after previously teaching Year 3 for 3 1/2 years and Year 1 for 1/2 a year...quite a change in store for me!!!

Could you possibly expand on these sort of Phonic assessments and activities please.

Thanks,

Abi

I can give you a few more examples of things we did with our Phase 1 group last year and hopefully you'll find at least some of them useful!

Alliteration - I Spy with objects in a tray (all 's' objects, for example) Adults to really emphasise the same initial sound. We extended this by having the phoneme cards alongside the objects, sometimes adding individual whiteboards and pens, trays of shaving foam, paint for the children to mark make.

Alliteration - Digging for treasure game with two sets of objects e.g. 's' and 'a' objects. Which sound does this start with? Which group does it need to go in? We have buried our treasure in a variety of things e.g. baked beans, jelly, gloop, shredded paper.

Rhyme - We would place four chairs outside with four children as 'chair keepers' (holding up a picture card e.g. dog, cat, box, sun.) The other children in the group had a certain amount of time to find the picture cards hidden in the environment, then had to hand them to the correct 'chair keeper'.

Blending - We would try to incorporate this into activities throughout the day such as Simon Says e.g. "Simon Says touch your s-o-ck." Or "Lucy, can you find my p-e-n?" This was always useful if you wanted to double check certain children!

I used to have a panda puppet, Pat Panda, who was very clumsy. She would always drop our phoneme cards on the floor just before we were going to use them to make a word and so the children would have to help find the cards - "Oh no, Pat Panda has dropped the cards again. Who can help find the cards we need for the word 'hat'? Which sound do we need to find first/ next/ at the end of the word?"

These are just a few suggestions. I know they don't really sound like an assessment tool but we have always found it a better way of finding out what the children really know because they are so involved in the activity.

We put them onto the weekly plan, highlighting it as a form of assessing where the children are and then se those observations to organise our future phonics groups.

Beccy x

The letters and sounds materials has all the activities and also Look, listen and note foci for phase 1 which will tell you what to look for in trems of skills and understanding.

I wouldn't be worrying about assessment week, you'll be getting all your observations/assessments along the way - as I say to my schools "everyday in EYFS is assessment day!"

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)