Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Marcellus

I have had a look on the Norfolk site which has got some great plans. It states that the children when studying about ourselves look at Marcellus birthday. Sorry if I sound stupid but does anyone know who he/she was and the sygnificance for early years children. Thankyou.

I have not read it but there is a book called Marcellus's Birthday Cake, look on Amazon, has anyone else read it to their children?

I have had a look on the Norfolk site which has got some great plans. It states that the children when studying about ourselves look at Marcellus birthday. Sorry if I sound stupid but does anyone know who he/she was and the sygnificance for early years children. Thankyou.

36093[/snapback]

I had a quick look on Amazon. This is the synopsis of the book Marcellus Birthday:-

"A verse tale about a new boy's first day at school finds him dreading other student's reactions to his dreadlocks and his mother encouraging him to accept his personal differences, and when he makes new friends, he realizes that everybody is different."

Hope this is what you need - or have I got the wrong end of the stick as usual?

Maz

HI Gwen

You certainly don't sound stupid :D

AS far as I know Marcellus is a character in two children's books. Both are written by Lorraine Simeon. ONe is simply called 'Marcellus' It is about a 4yr old called Marcellus who is very worried about his first day at school he is particularly concerned that the other children will laugh at his hairstyle (he has dreadlocks) HIs Mum supports him in facing his fear and all is well!

The second book is called Marcellus' Birthday and he tries to remember the ingredients to make a cake and and get the kitchen back to normal before mum wakes up!

If you are covering birthdays have you seen 'It's my Birthday' by Helen Oxenbury? About a child going to make a cake for his birthday and how they gather the ingredients, a chicken helps out with an egg and I think it was a bear who went off to find the flour, eventually they get all the ingredients and everyone shares the cake.

Spot on Gwen! (re Its my Birthday, not my stupidity!!)

Amazon recommended Helen Oxenbury as well - we're doing "All About Me" this term too, so I feel an Amazon order coming on...

Maz

See - Gwen/Geraldine - sudden lapse in intellectual capacity leading to identity confusion. There are days when I don't know who I am...

Sorry ladies!

Maz

See - Gwen/Geraldine - sudden lapse in intellectual capacity leading to identity confusion.  There are days when I don't know who I am...

Sorry ladies!

Maz

36101[/snapback]

Oh only a lapse Maz :o My intellectual capacity disappears for long periods of time xD usually just when I need it to write an assignment :( Nice to know I am not alone in having days when I don't know who I am (or where I am or what I should be doing come to that :(:( )

Dear girls,

I can really empathise - my menopausal moments seem to becoming more frequent. As an example a few days ago my son txtd me from his hols and said that he was going jet skiing. I went to reply yesterday to ask him how it went and for the life of me couldn't remember the word for jet ski. For over half an hour I sat and thought - I went onto the internet, sourced Water Sports images, found an image but still no word, ploughed through various internet sites in the hope I could find it - but nothing - half an hour later feeling extremely frustrated and stupid I caught on to the fact that it would have been on his original text to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Problem solved.

I was listening to the radio where one woman said she spent a similar time trying to remember the word "table" and having to describe it to her rather bewildered teenager, - it's got four legs, we eat off it, it's got a cloth on it, it's in the kitchen.

I too agree that it's amazing we are doing some form of studying at least it keeps our minds active - what do you think would happen if we didn't!!!

Nikki

Lorraine simeon lived near the school I used to work in and came to speak to the children about marcellus. it was based on her own son's experience on starting school and so is an interesting little book for that.

Actually, thinking about it, the plans on the norfolk site are I think those written here in southwark, if so that's probably why Marcellus was referenced as it was a book we all knew about.

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)