Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ipads

Hello All,

It’s been a while since I have been on, but I thought this topic was the ideal one to start back with, as I need some advice on how to go about this and evidence to back up my proposal to my boss.

Moving forward with technology and the ICT we offer the children within setting, I suggested to my boss that I thought it would be beneficial if we had an iPad on site for the children to use. As if they were doing a specific topic they could download pictures/videos etc, and recently after a trip to Spain I downloaded an app that speaks in both English and Spanish on my iPad which would be good for the EAL children as they do the app in other languages for FREE!!

Well I was greeted with agreement straight away and the fact that she didn’t have one, she didn’t see why they children in her nursery should have one….. (mmmmmm I sense the shocked faces!!) LOL. :huh:

Now, I’m always one to get my own way, but I need get hard fact as to why this will be a good tool to have in setting. Therefore, I’m asking you guys if you have an iPad how do you use it in setting, how does it benefit the children, or what are the pros and cons???

Thanks in advance

MissRed

p.s. my boss and I have regular disagreements like this – but this is one I want to WIN!! LOL :D

I think if I were your boss I'd be asking you why it is necessary to buy an iPad, and what you can do with an iPad that you can't already do some other way, especially if you already offer the children a wide range of opportunities to explore ICT.

Good luck! :1b

I think if I were your boss I'd be asking you why it is necessary to buy an iPad, and what you can do with an iPad that you can't already do some other way, especially if you already offer the children a wide range of opportunities to explore ICT.

Good luck! :1b

She has asked that question Maz, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else was using them in setting!! We dont have interent access in our preschool room therefore having an iPad on site was merely an idea so the staff had access to the interent in the rooms and can exand on activities.

From reading the links it does seem to be nursery school based, and even if my proposal is declined, I want to have researched and given her the valid reasons as to why an iPad may work in setting. I dont for one minute think that I'll win, but not for one second am I a manager that will just roll over without a fight!!!

I'm on the fence with this one.

One side of me see then us a useful 'gadget' for the children to use, the other side of me says 'lets encourage children to be children' and discover life itself and not rely on a touch screen to do it all for them.

No internet access? I do not really see that as an argument - a wireless laptop would be far more beneficial than a ipad. Possibly not cheaper though, but far more durable/robust etc. A wireless USB ports is a very cheap option if you already have a laptop/PC in the room.

I have an ipad, and actually other than being a 'really fun gadget' not really sure it enhances my life that much.................. I still use trusty laptop for the majority of 'work things' And they're a pain in the sense you always need the ******* apple adapter to do this/that (always seem to cost £25!! each)

In fact at the moment I've left the ipad with my 85 year old mum to play with as she bedbound at the moment and it's light for her to use.

Note- I mean for the 'pre-school' aged children. Not school based - which I feel is different matter altogether.

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1