Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Updated Factsheet On Childminder Ratios/variations

Guest lucyevans

Thanks Lucyevans - may I ask how everyone gets to hear about these things/publications?

I have, years ago, signed up to receive OFSTED newsletters - but never got them! (and seem to remember a thread on here with others saying the same!)

It's hard to go looking for something if you don't know it exists - it's bound to be something very simple but I am a little jaded and currently unable to see the obvious recently lol!

Any tips would be much appreciated :D thanks in bunches

Guest lucyevans
Thanks Lucyevans - may I ask how everyone gets to hear about these things/publications? I have, years ago, signed up to receive OFSTED newsletters - but never got them! (and seem to remember a thread on here with others saying the same!) It's hard to go looking for something if you don't know it exists - it's bound to be something very simple but I am a little jaded and currently unable to see the obvious recently lol! Any tips would be much appreciated :D thanks in bunches

https://www.ofsted.gov.uk/user Create a user account and then you can subscribe to various updates, HTH, Lucy

Hi gingerbreadman after reading your post above I clicked on the link for the document lucyevans posted above I log on and worked my way through updating my details so hopefully that will mean I am 're-actvated' and will get email alerts with future updates

Thanku! I shall return and have a go (hope you don't have to re-enter old passwords - won't have a hope at remembering those chosen years ago lol!)

Thanku! I shall return and have a go (hope you don't have to re-enter old passwords - won't have a hope at remembering those chosen years ago lol!)

hahaha - had a stab and it worked - my memory is not as old and decrepit as I had thought yay!

thanks peeps - knew it would be something incredibly obviousssss!

• 1 month later...

Good Morning,

I am new to this forum so I hope I have got this right.

I am a registered child minder and have been for many years. A parent approached me to cover an additional session on a Thursday, however I already care for one under one, and two under five. This would bring me over my ratios. However when I called Ofsted for a variation form - since the new EYFS they no longer issue them. I have done my research and the new guidelines state that

In some circumstances, childminders may care for more children in the early years age group, providing they do not exceed the maximum number of six children at any one time. These circumstances are exceptional and are not intended to be the norm. How to decide on when to apply such an exception is explained in paragraphs 6–9. Childminders do not have to inform or seek permission from Ofsted to change the number of children they care for. However, they must be able to demonstrate at all times that they meet the needs of all the children who attend. This includes their care needs and helping them to make progress in their learning and development.

Has anyone got any ideas how this can be demonstrated? It seems too easy to just do a risk assessment.

Thankyou in advance for any help.

Guest lucyevans

Sarah Neville has written a really useful document on how to risk assess etc.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html

Hope that helps,

Lucy

Good Morning,

I am new to this forum so I hope I have got this right.

I am a registered child minder and have been for many years. A parent approached me to cover an additional session on a Thursday, however I already care for one under one, and two under five. This would bring me over my ratios. However when I called Ofsted for a variation form - since the new EYFS they no longer issue them. I have done my research and the new guidelines state that

In some circumstances, childminders may care for more children in the early years age group, providing they do not exceed the maximum number of six children at any one time. These circumstances are exceptional and are not intended to be the norm. How to decide on when to apply such an exception is explained in paragraphs 6–9. Childminders do not have to inform or seek permission from Ofsted to change the number of children they care for. However, they must be able to demonstrate at all times that they meet the needs of all the children who attend. This includes their care needs and helping them to make progress in their learning and development.

Has anyone got any ideas how this can be demonstrated? It seems too easy to just do a risk assessment.

Thankyou in advance for any help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)