Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sacks/book Of The Week/song Of The Week Etc

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else uses story-sacks each week/fortnight or has a book of the week and/or song of the week and if so, could you explain how you organise and impliment it? I've read a few different articles that recommend the use of a collection of stories and books that the children get to know really well over the course of the school year but have never really managed to get my head around how it would actually work practically in-terms of introducing the book and resources (if using sacks) without it just adding to the list of things that we need to get through while still maintaining CI play. We have our favourite songs (which tend to be the ones on the IWB) and read a wide range of stories often picked by the children so they are often ones that are 'popular' titles anyway. We also have times where we use a book as a starting point for a range of activities. I'm wondering how the story of the week would 'fit-in' in those weeks where we might be looking at a different book linked to the activities we are doing? Does the story-sack go out anyway or do you leave it for that week so we can concentrate on the different book?

I understand the benefit of children getting to know a core set of books really well but also don't want to be introducing something that isn't very flexible. I was thinking of possibly waiting until the parents fill in their 'All about me' questionnaires and using the most popular books instead of pre-choosing books that the children may not be interested in?

Any ideas and advice would be great,

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Guest ShelleyT

We often start the week by reading a story to the children and then set out activities for them to do throughout the rest of the week. We also put the book in the book corner and read it more than once throughout the week. The children always seem to enjoy it. x

Thanks, ShelleyT - That's the sort of thing we do already which we find works really well also. The children also often 'discover' a book they particularly enjoy and ask for it everyday! I was just wondering about a more regular weekly book and song from a pre-decided selection which are repeated over the year?

Green Hippo x

This is something that our school has just looked at. Each year group has selected 10 books they will read regularly throughout the year and we have also selected 6 traditional/fairytales that we tell the children. It doesn't mean to say that we have to involve activities around the stories but the door is open to do so. It just means that they get to know these stories and books really well over the year and that the same stories are not repeated year after year - although I worry slightly that they might get to know a story in nursery really well and then never hear it again!! However we are not restricted to read any other books, just to make sure we regulalry read the ones we have selected. It has worked in the fact that i know my children know 'The tiger who came for tea' (for example) inside out, upside down and word for word!!! Not usre if thats of any help. It works well for us as long there is still flexibility.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)