Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics In Foundation Stage

I am teaching in a reception class and we use Jolly phonics in nursery and reception quite successfully. Our school has decided to introduce THRASS and want it to be used across all the stages of school from N to Y6.

We are NOT happy and feel it is not appropriate for use in foundation stage. Has anyone else used it in receptipon or nursery? If so, how? We need convincing as we have argued that we need to use Jolly phonics as well but we have been told we can't use both.

HELP!!!!!! :o

hi

What is THRASS? I use Jolly Phonics and it works quite well, I also back it up Ginn Big Book Sounds. I think it is importnat to use whatever works with the child. I undeerstand that it is good to have a uniform scheme running throughout the school showing progression but the children need a good beginning or that won't mean anything eh?

Good luck, I hope things work out. Maybe someone here knows THRASS and can share with you how to make it work successfully.

Ali

Hi,

I have found that THRASS have a websit www.Thrass.com and jolly dull it looks too! I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it to help you teach young children.

i've had this problem in boths schools i've taught in...

we used 'phono-graphix' in my first school very much like THRASS - but i used jolly phonics along side it cos i was dull as sh** - my literacy consultant agreed - but said we should not used a mix of schemes in the school - so we all swopped to PIPs - progression in phonics...but i still used my little songs and actions from jolly phonics! - just didn't mention it on my planning - so the kids were getting the benifit and noone picked me up for having a mixture of schemes!!! that was in reception...

now in nursery and we all use PIPS - but i still use my little songs and actions from jolly phonics - just make sure the children don't rely on them cos they don't use them in rec or KS1....so we do lots of alliteration rhymes and all the happy little songs and rhyme ideas from stage 1 of PIPS - which we have always done in nursery anyway!!

i think jolly phonics is fantastic cos it is multi sensory approach which children need to associate learning ... but it is not the best thing if they have to rely on eg: 'ddddddd....dig' with the action - need to be exposed to a range of 'd' sounds and rhymes...dancing dog...etc!!

hope this is useful....sara :o

We introduced Thrass as a whole school approach a couple of years ago i fought against using it in Reception as I thought it was too much too soon but now we are using it alongside PIPs and its great, much better that children learn sounds early and they let u know when they are ready for more than cvc words. It fits in well with learning to read keywords that are not phonic too.

• 6 months later...

We are using an approach based on 'Teaching Early Reading' research - it fits in nicely with Jolly Phonics and is not dissimilar to THRASS but suited to reception age children.

We started the programme in September and although it might feel a little structured for some practitioners the results have been incredible and the children enjoy it. It involves 2 or 3 daily 10 minute sessions taking a whole class approach and teaching synthesis and segmentation skills as well as key words.

I have a class of thirty children - all the class can now recognise initial letter sounds, my lower group ( 5 children ) can synthesise and segment vc/cvc words and read at least 10 key words. The rest of the class can recognise 7 digraphs , synthesise and segment vc/cvc/ccvc words and read at least 40 key words. It has also had a knock on effect with their writing - no longer are they afraid to have ago writing words as they have the necessary skills to do it!

Is there anyone else out there who is using this programme as I would love to hear how they are getting on? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)