Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Reading

"Life's Not Fair, But God is Good" by Robert H. Schuller

I had not been having such a good 'spiritual' time this past year and this book fell into my hands in a providencial way. It helped me to refocus where I had to focus on, God. A certain moment came and, in a way that I would not have been able to respond earlier in the year, I was able to live the moment in faith and peace. I give thanks to the Lord for being there always, because "God is good".

case histories by Kate atkinson - detective gets involved with several old cases and the people they link around. Not a detective novel however. More an exploration of seeking truth, remembered truth and how we create the narrative fiction of our lives. (which may not always be "the truth". I loved it, it's just out in paperback I think.

The time travellers wife - a love story with time travel thrown in.

My sisters keeper, jodie picoult. youngest daughter genetically chosen as match to her v sick elder sister. Explores the ethics of this from all the viewpoints of the family an how it impacts on their lives. What choices can we make? How do we show love for another? Good ending which I didn't expect.

(Now currently reading something on teaching genre in the early years by jenni Riley. ALso good, but not as entertaining!!!

I've just read Secrets of a family album by IslaDewar, a story about a year in the life of a family. An easy, entertaining read and a very well-observed piece of writing.

One of my favourites is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Not a new book but very interesting and enthralling.

I also love Douglas Kennedy's books. Again easy to get into and lots of twists. The Big Picture and The Job are two older ones. This year he's written The pursuit of Happiness (which wasn't so enthralling) and another one, whose title escapes me, but which was brilliant (about a relationship going sour due to postnatal depression - doesn't sound promising, does it? But trust me it's very good!).

Happy reading :D

PS The time traveller's wife is next on my list!

Ahh yes, douglas kennedy. Think it's called "a special relationship" or similar on account of it being an american woman and brit bloke. Good book, I agree too.

Also have remembered Jasper fforde, Starting wth "The eyre affair", main character is Thursday Next, who is a literary detective based in swindon. Utterly hilarious, very clever and full of makes you groan out loud word play.

This year I vowed as a new year resolution to only get books from the library. It's been interesting as I've read several authors I wouldn't have done like douglas kennedy, and explored several different genres. I had to break my rule for the reading group books though - library won't let me keep them that long!!

:o

i have just read Emma Brown by Claire Boylan an old book from the library apparantly the first two chapters were written by charlottel bronte and claire B finished it off.I couldnt put it down,read it through half closed eyes cos it was very powerful stuff (victorian london at its poorest) but wonderful!

This year I vowed as a new year resolution to only get books from the library.

36034[/snapback]

I'm very lucky - my local library (5 mins walk!) is trialling a scheme whereby they stock multiple copies of all the latest best sellers :o