Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daft Question But Baselines...how Do You Do It?

How do you do it. We normally baseline for 3 weeks. During this time no 'teaching' takes place just interactions as they access continuous provision. Im aware we dont baseline for long but it concerns me that no 'teaching' would take place for 7 weeks if we extended.

In the early weeks a child begins nursery the staff gather information on our PLOD form (possible lines of development)

We observe mainly to try and gather information to look at attainment on entry to nursery and to see what each child needs.

I presume reception do something similar but I am not sure 3 weeks is long enough because of giving the children time to settle. It's not as though focused activities or taught activities can't go on, because surely they give you info as to where a child is at too!

• Like 1

How do you do it. We normally baseline for 3 weeks. During this time no 'teaching' takes place just interactions as they access continuous provision. Im aware we dont baseline for long but it concerns me that no 'teaching' would take place for 7 weeks if we extended.

Hi another thought for me would be that whilst I feel 3 weeks is fine for baseline, if you did want to extend but were worried about 'teaching' every interaction with children holds the potential for learning. Although in pre-school we do have adult-led or focus activities and planning with children's interests in mind, as teachers, trained staff, pre-school practitioners we all extend learning as part of our instinctive practice so learning and therefore teaching could still be taking place. ;)

We do tend to take the first half term to do our observations etc for baseline. We usually use Target Tracker and Essex like our results in and that tends to be first week back after the half term sometimes just before. The only area we make notes on first and therefore can get on with teaching is sounds and words. We find out what they know so we can get on with teaching phonics (we follow ERR (KRM)).

On-entry assessments in Reception will start with the information from parents and previous settings attended by the child. This helps to create an initial picture of the child. This involvement of parents and partnerships with other settings is a cornerstone of the EYFS. Then we can use what we have discovered during home visits and other contact prior to starting in class. My feeling is that the prime purpose is to find out if there are any areas for concern or children operating below what you would expect so that their needs can be met quickly and interventions put in place. I would agree that it is important to invest time in the first couple of weeks to observation and quality interactions as well as teaching the children routines and expectations. This will all help to inform assessments and planning.

Adult led activities and teaching times can easily be introduced during this early period - I don't think it should be so cut and dried as 3 weeks of observation before teaching starts...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)