Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Base Line Assessments

Ok - I have read lots of threads and still not sure I know if I'm doing my baseline assessent correctly. I've been told Ofsted would want to know how many (%) are working at 30-50 or 40-60 mths in each area. Do you start looking at the age in mths of a particular child, then workout what age band they fall into developmentqally mostly and if that matched their chronological age. SO my younger Reception chn who just turned 4 would mostly be devp/secure in 30-50 and emerging 40-60, and my 5yr olds would be mostly expected to be secure 30-50 and developing/secure 40-60.

Am I also correct I'd expect most chn to come in on the EYFSP around 2-3 scale points per area at beginning of the year.

SO a more able child could be a high 30+ score a and younger/less able would be high teens to low 20 score.

Is a child who scores mostly 3s developing 40-60 and a child who scores higher than 4-6 on a scale secure 40-60.

For example: I have a child who scores 3 on all PSE, 2 across all CLL, 4 on PRN1, 2 on PRN2 and PRN3, 3 on KUW/PD/CD. Total score 34

SO I'd say that child was developing 40-60, secure 40-60 on number, is that correct.

ANother child is scale point 1 on 4 of the areas, scale point 2 on 6 areas, scale point 3 on 3 areas, total score 25.

Is that child emerging 40-60?

Feel like I'm batting blind but really want to feel I've done this correct.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

Ok - I have read lots of threads and still not sure I know if I'm doing my baseline assessent correctly. I've been told Ofsted would want to know how many (%) are working at 30-50 or 40-60 mths in each area. Do you start looking at the age in mths of a particular child, then workout what age band they fall into developmentqally mostly and if that matched their chronological age. SO my younger Reception chn who just turned 4 would mostly be devp/secure in 30-50 and emerging 40-60, and my 5yr olds would be mostly expected to be secure 30-50 and developing/secure 40-60.

That's how I would look at it, national expectations would be secure 30 - 50/ emerging 40 - 60+ so 48 month aged children would be right on the overlap, but older children may be closer to ELGs.

Am I also correct I'd expect most chn to come in on the EYFSP around 2-3 scale points per area at beginning of the year.

SO a more able child could be a high 30+ score a and younger/less able would be high teens to low 20 score.

The scale points 1-3 cover the sorts of skills in the pre ELG parts of Dev mattters so yes 2/3sh would match to the expected outcome for on entry to Reception.

Is a child who scores mostly 3s developing 40-60 and a child who scores higher than 4-6 on a scale secure 40-60.

Yes because the secure element of 40 - 60+ = working securely at the ELGsie 6+ points. (They are the statements in bold).

For example: I have a child who scores 3 on all PSE, 2 across all CLL, 4 on PRN1, 2 on PRN2 and PRN3, 3 on KUW/PD/CD. Total score 34 SO I'd say that child was developing 40-60, secure 40-60 on number, is that correct.

Pretty much = yes!!! But not necessarily completely secure in NLC, because there are 5 points of the scale covering different elements of using numbers. And as PSRN is across all 3 scales really I might say the child is emerging 40 - 60+ overall. I think this is where the 6+ element comes into play.

ANother child is scale point 1 on 4 of the areas, scale point 2 on 6 areas, scale point 3 on 3 areas, total score 25.

Is that child emerging 40-60?

Broadly in the areas where they are scoring 2- -3 points but for the areas they are scoring only 1 point I would say they are not there yet and developmentally this level of point would be more aligned with 30 - 50.

It's not an exact science and you have to apply your child development knowledge to match Dev matters ages/stages to the skill sets in the 1-3/4-8 bands of the EYFSP. Hope that helps.

Cx

Edited by catma

Hi when we had ofsted last June, I only gave them and talked about the data in terms of EYFSP points and progress made from on entry. I was not asked about how many were working within each age band at all. Once i have interpreted the transition documents and arrived at a best fit for the profile for my the children's on entry starting point, I do not use the development age bands at all. The inspector was perfectly happy with the information that I gave and did not refer at all to the development age bands.

Deb

It's the perennial issue of Ofsted inspections being slightly different whenever they happen linked to their inspection trails and areas for investigation and thr type of provision you have. We've had several this term and they have all asked for EYFS data linked to ages/stages against national expectations vs overall outcomes so they could look across nursery on entry to end of EYFS. If you only have reception then scale points would be entirely appropriate for on entry to exit, but across a whole phase in my experience they generally want to know about standards agianst their own descriptors of national expectations as you can't use scale points to measure standards/progress in nursery provision.

This is going to be even more important after January when the new framework kicks in and it will matter in respect of the whole school outcomes grading. We've noticed a shift towards the new judgements this term as their training takes place e.g. wanting data on reading.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)