Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fingertips Software For Learning Journeys

Does anyone use the fingertips software for collecting evidence and compiling your learning journeys. Pro's and cons of it? we are looking into investing.

Hadn't heard of it but now know what you are on about because I googled it!

Looks impressive but it's pretty costly.

Will also be interested to hear what folks think.

I downloaded 2simple EYFS onto my iPad to take a look at that software but then never actually got round to giving it a go!

We don't have iPads at nursery so I think I was reaching a little there!!

Does anyone use the fingertips software for collecting evidence and compiling your learning journeys. Pro's and cons of it? we are looking into investing.

I have seen this working in a school recently. I really loved the look of it. (ofsted did too, and loved the way the school usedbthe data in it)You took photos or videos on a mobile device, clicked on the areas of learning and the children involved. A the end of the day you plugged it into your class PC and it put all the pictures into the appropriate child's e-file. So for me. Could see it being a massive time saving thing. The real plus through was the ability to query the data on the PC. You can print out a child's overview/ a class or even a group of children. Let's face it, it is what we do with the data and I felt this gave us a really good opportunity to see regularly what was needed for next steps.

You can print out reports for parents - I wasn't that impressed with the format of this - it was not very reader friendly for my EAL parents, and I have lots. I wonder if they will improve this with the update??

It's not going to replace a folder of work which the parents and children will enjoy working through but it's a fabulous tool!!

I have been given the go ahead to have this in school but the software will not be ready before September as they are frantically trying to update it in line with the new eyfs.

There are other options too...

Essex target tracker - but you have to manually put the photos into e folders - might as well cut and stick!

And there is 2 simple which I think has the same downside. I also think that there is no video evidence just photos.

The one down side is the price but with the school I saw it used in buying second hand phones from eBay, there are ways of making it less expensive.

I have been given the go ahead to have this in school but the software will not be ready before September as they are frantically trying to update it in line with the new eyfs.

What I'm really curious about is how all the companies that make software will be updating given the EYFSP possibly won't be fully available until later in the Autumn term (if my contacts on the pilot are correct)!

Cx

What I'm really curious about is how all the companies that make software will be updating given the EYFSP possibly won't be fully available until later in the Autumn term (if my contacts on the pilot are correct)!

Cx

I guess if the information is recorded in the 7 areas of learning and kept up to date these systems can send an update disc or online link to update when the detail of the profile is known.

Yes I think that's how it will work! It's the framework I am interested in.. Forgetting about eyfsp untill someone can tell me ( and show me!) what it Is!!

Don't buy it!!!!! Our school invested thousands in this as the concept for it looks fantastic and when the saleperson came it looked amazing. However, when you use it it is very time consuming. You are workking with the children, you take a photgraph of the children, click to link it to the area of learning and profile score (as it was) then annotate what the chidlren were doing, if they were playing alone, alongside, co-operatively etc. You then plug this into the computer and download it. The thing you can't do is link children so if 2 children are doing the same thing, you would have to do 2 separate observations. Also downloading had loads of technical issues and we lost loads of photgraphs and pbservations. Nightmare!!!! The end outcome of this looks nice, but it is VERY time consuming and takes loads of pages to print out to present to parents. We have decided to use this at the end of each term for one observation for each child to send home to parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)