Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baselines For September

Hi all,

I hope someone can shed a bit of light or is willing to share their thoughts/plans for September with regard to baseline assessment?

I have been advised by our Early Years Consultant to just use the relevant month category from Development matters as a guideline. What does everyone think? Any clearer advice/thoughts? Quite new to reception so would welcome a little help.

Many thanks,

x

That is what the new documents are saying. The children would be tracked throughout EYFS using the develoment matters. The EYFSP will assess a child working within the dev matters at the end of eyfs as emerging which will be anywhere on the ages/stages so you would have to report the age/stage to parents, whilst the data would indicate emerging. (That's what the draft stuff indicates anyway)

If children are in nursery and are at e.g. 30-50 say, they can be assessed a at 30 -50 on entry to reception as the ages/stages still have the same currency as before.

This is what we are advising our schools.

Cx

It says that we have to assess their characteristics of learning as well. How do you think this is going to work? Will it be one judgement as to what is their style, or are characteristics going to be assessed in each area? What do you think?

The characteristics are part of the EYFSP so I don't think you need to do that as part of your baseline. You will need to report on the 3 characteristics of learning at the end of reception but it isn't a requirement to do so before that.

When you do report on them, currently it is planned as a written report covering each of the 3 characteristics alongside the reporting of the outcomes of the EYFSP assessments.

I will do as I normally do and observe over the first 6 weeks to arrive at a starting point judgement against the development matters with the transition document helping to form that judgement. I will highlight in one colour and then highlight different terms in different colours as they achieve them. My head who is a data addict is already starting to find a way to record this electronically and show progress (we use eprofile at the moment ) She has heard that target tracker will be doing a new system for the revised eyfs which feeds into what the rest of the school do so i expect that's what we will

Be doing!

Deb

eProfile will also be continued by Suffolk at a small cost.

Basically now we have:

Tracking progress from 0-5 through Development matters framework, including summative transitional judgements at any point until the end of reception.

National summative assessments at age 2 and 5. Both effectively use the dev matters but the EYFSP is hinged around end of stage expectations of meeting the ELG at the end of the key stage, with a single judgement to express where a child is on that continuum.

Cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)