Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding Report

HI guys,

im in a bit of a predicament, ive been invited to a child protection conference for a key child of mine.

Now i know that other agencies have a report format that they fill out and present to the social (Key) worker, clarifying what evidence they have.

But as a setting we dont have one? Does anyone use a format they would share with me as i want to be a professional as possible?

Any help would be great

Petunia

Are you having to report on specific child protection issues or just a general child development summary? Ones I've done in the past have just expected a summary of the child and I've just used the six headings of the EYFS and highlighted the childs strengths and then any areas of need/concern

Hi if the child is already on a register, or has a social worker a form should come to you for completion. If you are unsure contact the social worker involved. Otherwise as above posts have suggested take along a general summary of their development including likes, dislikes as well as any other concerns you may have.

In 6 years and many children with CP plans I've never been given a form...

I put attendance figures, comments on development/progress linked to EYFS, presentation (clean & tidy or not etc), how child seems with parents, comments on presentation of parents (depending on the case), any other concerns. I do also praise where it's due e.g. parents Successfully toilet training 4.5 yr old after a long time of not trying. I also comment on fees being up to date or not (where relevant).

Meetings are usually very draining so I try to allow half an hour afterwards before returning to work...

We've never been given guidance either - though when asked for a chronology we were signposted to the LSCB site for a pro forma.

We include everything as Anju said and if have been lucky to have been given the child's safeguarding care plan from the social worker, we've used the headings that this has flagged up.

We always finish with a summary as a full report is too long to go through in the actual conference (it's submitted as per their guidelines so the IRO would have time to read through it all) and the summary helps us 'get to the point' of what we want to get across in the actual meeting - it can be a bit daunting so Anju's advice of taking some time at the end to process, digest and relax is an excellent idea :-)

We put our recommendations on for what we would like to see happen for the child too

Your LA advisors or SEN team are often well versed in these areas too

Best of luck

Edited by gingerbreadman

We have a standard format that we use in our LA and everybody uses it , schools, health visitors, early years etc - it is useful as the parents see them all and know what to expect , and it has all the pertinant headings to jog your memory. I am in Portsmouth and it can be accessed for anyone to view through the Portsmouth City Council website

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/living/safeguarding-children.html

Might be helpful for ideas