Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suspending Staff

HI,

a really quick question - i am not actually a manager but wanted managers opinions

I have had an allegation made against me from a parent who claims that her child has said i have done something to them. Now as of yet i don't know what that something is. I am confident i have not done anything and am sure the allegation will prove unfounded (we have cctv in the rooms) and the owner said she had reviewed the footage and did not think i needed to be worried, the manager will review it on wednesday and they will contact the lado on wednesday. anyhow, i had a meeting with owner and manager on friday night and they told me about the allegation but no other info as they can't tell me anything yet.

the owner said that i would have been suspended whilst they investigate but because i am on annual leave next week they don't need to suspend me, but would i be available to go in wednesday if needed for an investigation. I have said i would be available to go in wednesday if needed as i want this dealt with as soon as possible ( i am 5 months pregnant so don't really want the stress either), but my question is: if it is their policy to suspend then surely they should ask me to withdraw my holiday and suspend me and then ask me to be avaialble to go in when they want me to, rather than have me use my holiday allowance whilst stressing out and also not be able to make plans as i know i will be called in for the investigation... or am i just being too personally involved and just thinking its unfair that i need to use holiday whilst being this stressed out over a work related situation.

as managers what would you do if you had to follow a procedure that would normally call for you to suspend a member of staff but that staff member was already on annual leave?

thanks for your thoughts

Dawn

I'm not a manager Dawn, but I think you have a really good point re suspension and holiday. Im not sure that I would want a suspension on my record either if it could be avoided so I think you really need to get some advice but to expect you in work on a day you have booked as holiday, also seems harsh to me.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for you that this works out well and quickly.

I am a supervisor and our policy states that if an allegation is made against staff then that member of staff should be suspended on full pay while the matter is investigated. I would say that you need to have your annual leave cancelled while this is going on and take it later.

Good luck!

Rachel

Employers can't stop you from taking annual leave unless they give you adequate notice I.e. If you have booked 5 days off then they have to give you five days notice that you can't get it!

Therefore This may be something you need to discuss with your employer!

IMO you need to see whether the suspension will be recorded as is common practice and if so you have nothing to lose asking if your leave can be put back!

Hope this helps!

well, they can't have it both ways surely?? If you are suspended, you CAN'T be on holiday, and vice versa. If they are sue the CCTv will exonerate you, why on earth haven't they simply invited the parents in to see it and save all this kerfuffle?? But back to original point: if you are on holiday, they surely must give you that back, IF they would have suspended you anyway.

This is what i am thinking. I have decided that if it does not drag out beyond wednesday then i will not make an issue re it being in my holiday time, but if it is going to drag on to thursday / friday then i am going to ask for my holiday back. At the end of the day my holiday is a time for me to rest as de-stress and i am certanly not doing that this holiday!

well, they can't have it both ways surely?? If you are suspended, you CAN'T be on holiday, and vice versa. If they are sue the CCTv will exonerate you, why on earth haven't they simply invited the parents in to see it and save all this kerfuffle?? But back to original point: if you are on holiday, they surely must give you that back, IF they would have suspended you anyway.

Just to say that I am thinking of you Dawn, I hope everything is cleared up on Wednesday and you can get on relaxing on your holiday. I think you have been extremely unlucky having this happen over a very long bank holiday.

Looking forward to seeing a smiley face on Wednesday.

Best wishes

Debbie

Hi Dawn

Really just adding to what has already been said. It is in our policy to suspend until an investigation has been carried out, if this was in my setting I would be pointing this out to you and giving you the choice to be honest, particularly under the circumstances.

This must be awful for you, this happened to a member of my staff a few years back a complaint was made but we were able to do the investigation immediately so there was no drawing it out. She had done nothing wrong either, but it doesn't make it any easier to live with does it?

I hope all goes well for you

xx