Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

App Grids For Assessment

Hi! Hoping someone might be able to answer a query for me!

We have some very bright children this year who are working beyond the early learning goals. We have obviously continued to challenge them with activities, but it has been suggested by other members of staff that we should therefore be completing APP grids to show their progress. I seem to remember someone telling me (maybe on a course or from an early years advisor) that we shouldn't be doing this?

Am hoping the answer is that we don't have to - I can't face yet more paper work!!!

Thanks in advance.

Tricky one! I would say that you need to be showing their progress in some form, but would be wary of putting them onto APP before they are in KS1. Perhaps identify next steps relevent for them that would allow you to challenge them, but not nec filling out more paperwork?

I'll be interested to see what anyone else thinks because we often get very mixed messages about appropriate level of challenge!

Not 100% certain of the official line but surely, if you are saying that these children have already reached point 9 on the profile you are indicating that they are working beyond ELGs, ie NC, so you should be recording this progress/attainment and if your school uses APP, this will be the easiest way to do so. In the same way, the profile should be continued in year 1 for those children who have not yet attained the ELGs.

Ultimately you can only report their attainment against the EYFSP. If they are significantly working at the same level of attainment as older children, which would need to be assessed and validated in conjunction with the Year 1 teachers then you could indicate this in your own records but they will only have a data set in EYFSP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)