Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Meeting My New Class

I am meeting my first class for an hour tomorrow and was planning to do circle time type activity, free choice activities and then finish with a story/rhymes. Does this sound ok? Love to hear what others do when they meet their class for the first time.

Thanks!

sounds good to me.

We usually pick a whole school theme and get them to do something arty (relating to the theme) which then goes up on the wall and creates the first display for when they start.

Last year when I had my old class (not got a job in September so no class this year) they came to me and I gave them all a blank birthday cake to colour in however they chose, using whatever pens/crayons they wanted to that they had in the classroom. I then turned these into the birthday display over the summer so they had work that was theirs on the wall- the parents really loved this as well as the kids. We also read a story. The kids were great- they really enjoyed it and they could sit wherever in the room they wanted to go and they moved about in a quiet manner (not bad for then Reception and Nursery kids!) It was a great hour.

Thanks for your suggestions. The session went well and I got to learn a few names. All seem lovely but definitely a few characters to watch out for in September!

Thanks.

You'd be more worried if there weren't any characters!! Glad it went well. What did you end up doing with them?

We hold an after nursery/school club (depending on whether they are morning or afternoon nursery) for our new starters that runs over a period of 5 weeks where the nursery children come up to school and do some 'schoolie' activities based on a different theme each week - e.g Literacy, Numeracy, ICT, Outdoor play, etc and then we fisnish the whole thing off with a party. I really enjoy it and so do the children and it gives them and their parents a chance to see the environment they will be working in, a chance to meet the staff and become familiar with the school and it gives us the chance to get to know them over a period of 5 45 min sessions

Sarah

I began by rolling a ball to the children and they said their name and then we rolled it to children saying the name of the child we wanted the ball to go to. This really helped me to learn some names. We then did activities and finished with a story. It would have been nice to do something creative for a display in September but I didn't have all the class in today.

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)