Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tyres For Outdoor Small World

Hi

Am after advice!

I have some tyres which I would like to use as a group to fill with different materials to create an outdoor permanent small word area (ie: one filled with compost, gravel, bark chippings etc) but I don't know what to use as a liner for them so the contents don't spill out from underneath.

I need it to be tough enough so that if we decide to move the tyres it won't tear. It doesn't need to be able to stop weeds growing through it as we only have slabs or the rubbery wet-pour surface in our outdoor area.

The other issue is how to secure the lining to the tyre. I have looked at things like 'No More Nails' and other waterproof glues but they are not suitable for most plastic liners, hubbie reckons the glue will melt them! Don;t have a heavy duty stalpe gun at school and they cost a lot.

Help...any ideas please for what I could use for the liner and to secure it to the tyre would be great.

Thanks

We use tyres filled with compost for growing plants and they're quite heavy enough not to 'leak' the contents, hadn't thought about lining them......We would like to paint them bright colours - any idea what type of paint we need to use?

Jo

Another way but a little more work involved would be to cut marine ply to size (slightly smaller circumference than the tyre) and nail these into the base of the tyre. This way they would be slightly more robust to move than one lined with tarpaulin and compost - as soon as you lift these the fillings would begin to fall through the bottom?

We have 4 large tractor tyres in our playground filled with gravel, pebbles, bark chippings and grass and we lined each of them with cheap tarpaulin held in place with tacks until filled and then removed the tacks

Edited by max321

I used heavy duty rubble bags to put underneath our tractor tyre that we mainly have sand inside.

My thought here is how will you kep the contents of each tyre separate when children are likely to mix and move the contents?!! I love the idea but cant imagine our children not mixing them up from the outset!!

Scarlettangel, you are right they don't stay separate for long but thats part of the fun and when the contents have gone down I just top them up so the mixed contents are at the bottom. It also means I can add something different to ring the changes, one year I managed to get bags of cockle shells and used those. Somehow over the last year we have managed to 'lose' about 100kgs of pebbles, heaven only knows where

It is the 'losing' of materials that I am concerned about as costs mount up if you have to keep re-filling the tyres. but then I am also unsure as to whether or not to line the tyres as they could just get waterlogged if the rain cannot drain out!

Why is it always that one question leads to another to another to another!!!??

it is he moving of them that would cause an issue.. that said once filled with soil or somthing they become so heavy moving them would be an issue anyway...

we sited ours and just filled them with soil.. nothing under and we had the rubber surface.. it did not leak underneath but we did nto intend to move them either,,

maybe rubble sacks would do the job or a tarpaulin and cut the excess off once full.. but you would have to have drainage holes in it to stop the water logging..

whatever you put in with being used will need topping up, ours was not needed very often though.. and the one we had seeded and had grass surface on was the one most used.. so no loss at all..

do you need to cover these ? when we put bark chippings in a bit of a bug corner we had lots of cats poo in it so it had to be removed.

sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)