Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment In Nursery Help!

Hi,

Im a reception teacher who may be asked to teach in nursery next year. Can anyone explain the difference between assessment in reception and in nursery? Is their some kind of formal assessment at the end of the year? Do you assess against the same profile points? etc If anyone can summarise the basic differences would be much appreciated!

Thanks Louise

Next year it will all be driven by the new framework so that will guide you. however the EYFSP is the end of reception assessment. There isn't a similar one in nursery. The nurseries generally use the development matters descriptors and assess where children are in their development from observations over time.

Cx

Following on from the previous comment, we assess the children from continuous observations. In my particular setting we do 3 progress assessments a year, New Year, Easter and before Christmas. We look back over our observations and decide where abouts the children are with regards to the EYFS development matters. Other than that it is all about observations and next steps! Hope this is of some help.

Tracey

Hi everyone. Yes we are making changes in our school nursery class. We have assessed using the early profile points (as this is what our head wanted). New nursery teacher doesn't want this. But we are unsure how and what to use. Obviously will use new DM's but don't want to end up with just a tick list!!!! What to do, what to do... If anyone has any suggestions as I'm feeling that a baby and bath water situation is coming.

Edited by Guest

Hi again,

I have a template that our Early Years Consultant gave me, that we now use, that I can send to you. Just not sure how to do it on here...? Or I can e-mail it to you...?

Let me know.

Tracey

Hi again,

I have a template that our Early Years Consultant gave me, that we now use, that I can send to you. Just not sure how to do it on here...? Or I can e-mail it to you...?

Let me know.

Tracey

Hi there

Could you send me a copy of the template too? I will pm my email address.

Thanks

Hi again,

Let me know.

Tracey

Oooh that sounds really useful! May I have a copy too? :1b

I am very happy to send this template to all of you. Could I ask that you please PM me your e-mail addresses as im not too great at attatchments on here yet!

• 2 weeks later...

We build learning diaries and then write brief summative reports 3 times per year, which are discussed with parents. These contain:

comments about progress since the last review in the 3 prime areas and a box for 'others'.

Next steps in the 3 prime areas

ideas about how parents can support towards the next steps

parent comments

N.B. We adjusted it a while ago as it was obvious the prime areas were going to be brought in.

After the review we also map the children's development in the 3 prime areas against the development matters age bands, on a 'best fit' basis. This information is them collated onto an Access database which our friendly 'computer whizz kid' created for us. It then allows us to generate reports showing individual progress, compare groups of children etc. We need to be able to show 'value added' so it works for us.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)