Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swearing

Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with swearing?

We have ignored it, as advised, but other children give the child the reaction anyway...coming to tell us X said so and so or a 'naughty word'....

The swearing is becoming more frequent and the content stronger.

Without drawing more attention to it we are not sure how to proceed

We had a problem with this a few years ago and told the parent that if it continued we would be forced to exclude the child for a time. Amazingly there was no more swearing and we never had to do it! I wonder who was teaching the boy those choice phrases then?

Okay so we have had a few children over many years each one dealt with differently. Firstly you do need parents to accept that inappropriate language is not acceptable and work closely together to resolve these issues. One of our children was told each time that an unacceptable phrase word etc was used that we do not want to hear those words and it was the words that were unacceptable not the child. We set very clear and consistent boundaries each time a unsavoury word was heard. If the said child was able to for a certain amount of time to play without the words they were able to play with something really special to them. Stand firm, work closely with the parents, saying how please you are with .... Infront of them and hey presto bad language disappeared.

Once I said to a little boy who said the odd swear word, instead of saying that word I say 'silly sausages' which worked perhaps because it was a silly, funny phrase but he wasn't a serial offender!

Not helpful at all but I had a parent come to tell me that their child (who was about to start nursery) swore consistently and how embarassed she was and how she had no idea where said child had heard such language.

This was from a woman who uses the F word about 10 times in a senetence and who once swore at me with this particular word about a dozen times when the school had been evacuated (albeit on a cold day) because someone could smell gas and I wouldnt let her child into the building and she said it was too cold to be outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think different strategies work with different children, but it is worrying that others might start to use the same language and at 3 and 4 years old I am hopeful that most parents would still find that offensive!

I would speak to the parent each time it happenes to move some of the responsibility to sort it, back to them.

Good luck.

Edited by Scarlettangel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)