Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

I know this is one of those topics that is discussed all the time (!), but I need some clarity from you wise ones!

Am rethinking our planning for next year. I know everyone is different, I also know it is personal. But I also need you to tell me if I'm overkilling it or just covering it!!

FS co has for a long time planned for Lit, Num and then a Creative and a Knowledge and Understanding activity seperately i.e. like subjects higher on up the school - as seperate entities. I want to take ownership of my own planning style next year, but also don't want to get two weeks into it and think I've gone mad!

Head is very okay with us doing what we think is necessary - but at the minute, we can't seem to agree on a routine let alone planning formats!

So, here is what I intend to do.

I have:

MTPs - pretty detailed outlining possible contexts to deliver the learning intentions.

STPs - include and Numeracy weekly planning sheet, a literacy literacy planning sheet, a list of the areas in the classroom with enhancements and then I also have a sheet that highlights the six areas of learning and how they are covered overall within the one/two weeks planning time slot. (I'm also considering planning for guided reading after attending a course that suggests that it is planned in case other adults take the session - then they know your expectations).

LTP (is being developed, but again, depending on the speed the FS co works - could be ready for 2010)!!!

I have just updated the continous provision stuff that I'll stick up around the room (with many thanks to you wonderful people!). Am thinking I've done enough (as I don't want to be bogged down with the paperwork side of things!). I'm preparing for the likelihood of Ofsted next year and I know I could manage the paperwork - I just want to know if this amount sounds like your amounts!! I've seen a lot of your examples and they seem similar - but was wondering what you think of mine!!!!

Thanks!

D xxx

Hi Gater,

I work in a private DN, so my opinions may not really be particularly appropriate her. What you do sounds pretty much what we do. It seems a fair bit, but once it's up and running you can usually tell at a glance how smoothly things are going, where you need to pay a bit more attention and where/how to 'tweak' as they say :o

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Sue :D

Hi gater, we are also looking at our planning for next year and want to revamp what we do. It sounds like quite a lot to me what you want to do, if you have 3 separate sheets? We cover all 6 areas on learning on one sheet and hope to reatin this but in different way. We want to include planned time for observations which we havent done before and we feel this has been an issue for us this year. We also want to be flexible enough to allow for the childrens interests to take us off in another direction. Gosh we dont want much do we?

But I would alos agree with SueR that if you are happy with that way to go, then try it and see. If it becomes unmanageabe then change it.

We are also expecting OFSTED early in the new year but I think they are more interested in which direaction we are going in as a team/phase than the actual nitty gritt of the planning format.

Hi,

Sorry, nothing to do with the subject, but I do love your signature, mundia!! When did you change it? Don't forget, I've been away!!

Now I'm feeling guilty, cos I've always rather liked yours, too, Gater!!! :o

Thanks Sue and Mundia. I agree with you Mundia about needing less sheets - but at the minute, I'm trying to get the FS co to move away from the formality and rigidity of the last 26 years of how Reception has worked at this school. Am making the slow progress only because of a new Head that is keen on getting us away from working as a whole class at tables for Lit and Num hours!

Anyway, my compromise at the minute is a need for the focused lit and num planning sheets as there is still a keeness by the fs co to retain this layout. So, I've incorporated a box for the independent activities in both planning sheets. I agree with the unnecessary element of having this, but I have to conform unfortunately!! It means that it is two more sheets than what I eventually see us working towards, but as yet that is something I'm willing to do for an easy life!!!

Do you agree on the need for an overview of 6 areas of learning despite having the MTP?

Thanks!

Well, speaking personally - the only way i can, i suppose!! I find it useful to check we've good coverage, although I'm trying to change that, myself!!

Looks like we're stumbling in the same general direction..... :o

So Sue, does that mean you are having an overview of the six areas to be more specific in you intentions as well as having the MTP overview?? AM so trying to get this right!!

Ofsted are likely to be around and have struggled for the last two years with the planning that has been around for millenia - need to get it so I'm happy with it while at the same time not too much so I'm hated by the other Reception teachers!!!

D xxx

Ooh and while we are chatting about this, does anyone know how Yr1 plan? My Yr 1 colleagues are revamping their teaching approach dramtically to include elements of the FS. They are taking this tranisition thing seriously - to great whoop whoops from me! The only thing that they are still wary of (funnily enough!) is the planning side of things. Anyone seen any examples of planning formats for year one?

D xxx

Gater, Im finding hard to envisage what you are talking about re your planning format and overview, sorry. Have you got a blank that you could post?

I think planning needs to be as simple as possible. Otherwise you have no energy for the delivery, flexible or otherwise.

I have posted this before but my last short term planner looked like this and I could indicate observations etc on it.

05_09_05_Myself.docSorry for confusing you Sue! I'm going to put on what I mean so you can see! It's the work in progress for Sept. I has three sheets - the overview, the Lit and then the Num. Maybe it will become more clear!!!

Thanks for posting yours. I have seen it before.

D xxx

HI again

Youve certainly got lots there! I wouldnt be attempting to be as formal as doing separate literacy and numeracy planners at the beginning of the school year. In fact I avoided, if possible, doing separate ones at all and I guess that is what you are working towards, ideally?

IF you are doing separate lit and num then I would think you could aim to always plan in 2 weekly cycles (or more!) for your other sheet. In your situation I can see that you need to plan like this but I would certainly beware of overdoing it.

I would also think that your year one colleagues could very easily plan with the same format. Mine did!!

Do remember that whatever you start with can always be changed if you find it doesnt work. I did try a similar sort of overview with my team but we found it too onerus.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I have no choice with the formal Lit and Num planning sheets. They've always been one weekly ones and this year they were started in September!! I know, I know, but it is something I've had to compromise with - I'm in the bad books enough as it is coz I want to get rid of tables and set up continuous provision!!!

The other sheet (overview of 6 areas if learning) is ideally for two/three week blocks, depending on what we are doing. It just focuses us more on what goes on other than Lit/Num hours!!!!!

I think I may take your advice though and stretch them over two weeks - I'm not too sure as yet as the books will be rotated between the three reception classes - the books may change but the objectives can stay the same. May be something that I can try and get in.

Thanks!

D xxx

Gater,

To answer your question, the overview is the same doc, it is completed at the MTP point, when we look back to see any 'thin' areas, so you could say it advises our planning to a certain extent, as well as monitors our coverage. Perhaps you can see my unease here, as it is not necessarily fully responding to 'children's needs', rather 'Ofsted needs' - I've quite a struggle on my hands here, with colleagues and bosses! I'd be a tad happier if we placed more emphasis on Goals worked towards rather than SS to target.

Sue :o

Hi again gater.

I think you have a lot in your overview, Im just wondering if you are repeating yourself in your planning, with yur overview and then also weekly plans? (have I understood you right here?) We dont complete an overview in addition to MTP, and we change the MTP as we go along when the children's interest do take us off at atangent. Just a one sheet weekly plan. We had no problems with our last OFSTED with this.

I can see where you are coming from with the lit and num, Ive been done the 'have to' road too and sometiems you do have to jump through hops to keep SMT happy.

I wouldnt get too booged with with getting it rght, if you are comfortable with what yu have, go with it, just chnage it if it doesnt work. What about your colleagues, are they happy with what you are proposing or are you all working at it together?

I am overseeing the 'continuity and progression' into year 1 and we are looking at having a plnning format that wil also work in year 1 epsecially at the beginning. This is a major change for us as year 1 has always been very formal. We dont have solutins yet, just questions!

Mundia, do you have a copy of your 'one sheet' weekly plan?

My Summer Term one was 8 pages!! LEA advisor said it was too much!

I have found it difficult to decide what to cut down on as there are 7 members of staff in the Unit - I've put in the detail so they know what I'm getting at. As we've been through 'special measures' (due Ofsted in Spring!) we've been told that they should be detailed enough so that anyone entering the class could follow them.

eek magenta, is that every week?

Ive been trhough the specail measures saga and like you we also had tooverplan..you know the sort of thing where you record it if someone wants to sneeze, but were able to lightne up once out of category.

Our planning is at school so Ill try and get it for you next week. Must say we are changing it though!!

It's interesting to see how others plan - its a minfield isn't it. We have just moved to a daily planning sheet as we feel we need to have written evaluations of everything such as phonics sessions, p.e etc. as we have ofsted imminently. We also have a focused shhet everyday for each adult led group task. How do other people show evaluations?

How do other people show evaluations?

35132[/snapback]

Brief notes on the weekly planning sheets for general whole class sessions, or more detailed notes on focused activity sheets.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

thoroughly interesting forum and one that echoes my own concerns. Last year as a reception teacher i became bogged down with seperate planning sheets that seemed to echo one and other. can anyone send me a copy of their combined lit and num planning sheet and their weekly overview

thankyou

charlotte :)

hi

thoroughly interesting forum and one that echoes my own concerns. Last year as a reception teacher i became bogged down with seperate planning sheets that seemed to echo one and other. can anyone send me a copy of their combined lit and num planning sheet and their weekly overview

thankyou

charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned to this thread to see whether Mundia has managed to post her copy of the weekly plans??

Have had fun planning for my areas of learning - and especially liked and used the ones posted on here. Have now found it hard justifying the need for separate lit and num planning as you originally said. I've had to email FS co about it and said that I have managed to balance my directed/initiated activities and feed lit and num into my areas of provision. If there is a need to plan for carpet inputs then I have combined lit and num inputs onto one planning sheet. Not had a response yet, but you are all right - why get bogged down with all the paperwork?? Yes I like to have a backup and yes I want to be able to have evidence for what I do, but at the end of the day, isn't the planning for us anyway? Shouldn't we decide?

Mundia I would appreciate a little look at your plan for an idea how I could condense my stuff more - although I am at a happy place with provision planning covering a lot of my learning intentions. If this is the case, do I necessarily have to have an overview on what is going on in the areas?

D xxx

I would also like to see this if possible - have just spent last 2 days on MTP and now need some easy way of getting this into a weekly plan!

Thanks

Sarah xoxx

hi

thankyou

charlotte

36107[/snapback]

This a new format I am trying out after being told we were doing too much planning! As we are starting as a fully integrated Foundation stage Unit next week (eeeek!) it has been suggested we plan 2 days in detail and plan in retrospect for the rest of the week, so that learning can be seen to be child initiated.

planning_for_supplementary_activities.doc

numeracy_plan.doc

literacy_wk1.doc

Edited by MARl0N

sorry gater I havent got there yet, had a few hiccups this holiday and am very much behind.

I am in the process of writing the new format, which I have to say is very much a wrok in progress. At the moment it should fit on 2 pages of A4. I have to finishe it today as I have to show the staff tomorrow, so Ill try and get back in and pots it up later.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)