Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Dm

Hi

I've just compared the new DM to the old ones, ready to share with other staff on Monday, i'm quite shocked to find most of the statements are the same-but placed in different areas - all that money!

I also feel that the ELG for numbers to 20 are totally unacheivable for some of my children in the old profile this was point 9 - exceeding the goals.

What are your thoughts?

Guest ShelleyT

I actually think that the numbers to 20 one is accurate. A lot of my children come into Reception already on point 7! I agree with you that some statements have simple been moved! It will be interesting to see if it is any better!

Im not all together comfortable with the moving goal posts for maths either. Whilst the EYFSP points are quite easy to achieve 6+ because they largely focus on counting and recognition to 10, the extension of this to 20 to include ordering in itself will result in fewer children achieving this.

But when you add on the one more/less, addition and subtraction within 20 as well as doubling and halving, I think we will have a lot less children 'expected' this and many more 'emerging'. Given that roughly a quarter of children don't currently meet the 6+ for calculating, I think we could have closer to half (maybe even more) not meeting the new 'expected'. I do wonder what the new primary curriculum will put in place for year one, and whether those goalposts will also move.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)