Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs/nat. Curric. Links

Hi Folks,

Can anyone direct me to a document which shows links between the Early learning goals and the National Curriculum attainment levels?. Or, where you go next in the KS1 National curric. if a child is secure with their ELGs in Reception?.

I don't understand why the National Strategies have been archived. I liked the break down of the curriculum into year bands. It's not so clear which year group are supposed to be covering what when you just look at the National Curriculum document. What does everyone else do?

I was trying to explain the planning process to my student and it's very difficult at the moment with newly revised EYFS, National Curric. from 2000 but Rose Review axed, National Strategies and AFL documents archived, QCA units not really used anymore. It's as clear as mud!

Won't expect a quick answer on this one as I expect most sensible Reception teachers are not on the forum at 11.30pm during the Easter holidays!.

Thanks

I think this could be very relevant with the new EYFS framework. If we are assessing a child as 'exceeding' an ELG, surely we will need to show what they are working on now? I fear this might be bringing the KS1 curriculum into the foundation stage.

The new exceeding descriptord willl eventually be aligned with the new NC, when it is revised.

If however a child was working at this level it wouldn't mean that you would be teaching like yr1 - just the child is working at that level when they go into Yr1 to inform the yr1 teacher.

Currently the guidance is that there is no correlation between the EYFS outcomes and the NC. Obviously the skils will be described in either curriculum and you would make a match based on skills rather than numerical matching activities.

Cx

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, especially Lorna. Those documents are very interesting.

I'm beginning to feel like a student myself but I have been working in nursery for a while and am rusty on my National Curriculum and a bit confused. Wondering if I have missed some vital document that has been published.

One of Lorna's attachments is a list of year one National Curriculum objectives for all the subjects. Here's my next question...when you look at the National Curriculum book(published 1999- is that what we're all still using ?) how have Wigan specified which are the year one objectives from the general Key Stage One programme of study?

And Catma..wise words as ever. Does that mean that if you have an Autumn born bright 5 year old in Reception that you still keep planning for that child from the EYFS right up to July, you don't need to show that you are using year one objectives to extend that child, although of course still presenting every learning opportunity in an Foundation stage play-based style?

Thanks folks- I love teaching and I want to get it right!

Thank you everyone, especially Lorna. Those documents are very interesting.

I'm beginning to feel like a student myself but I have been working in nursery for a while and am rusty on my National Curriculum and a bit confused. Wondering if I have missed some vital document that has been published.

One of Lorna's attachments is a list of year one National Curriculum objectives for all the subjects. Here's my next question...when you look at the National Curriculum book(published 1999- is that what we're all still using ?) how have Wigan specified which are the year one objectives from the general Key Stage One programme of study?

And Catma..wise words as ever. Does that mean that if you have an Autumn born bright 5 year old in Reception that you still keep planning for that child from the EYFS right up to July, you don't need to show that you are using year one objectives to extend that child, although of course still presenting every learning opportunity in an Foundation stage play-based style?

Thanks folks- I love teaching and I want to get it right!

Apologies for the awful typos in the previous comment! I was rushing out and didn't check!

It's all a matter of balance I think - I would always advocate using the EYFS pedagogy for all children while they are in an EYFS setting and also because gifted skills in one area does not mean the same is true of all areas of learning.

There is also going to be some transitional difficulties in the move from the previous EYFSP and the new incarnation, which being slimmed down also removes the gradations that the points gave us. It will be a much more solely a summative assessment with only 3 possible outcomes.

This is where we are going to have to be very careful we don't all start rushing to the finish and interpret the assessment criteria too simplistically. Think about a statement like enjoys writing. (Mine not theirs! For illustrative purposes only). This would look very different if we were talking about a two year old, a five year old or an eleven year old.

We have to be very clear about what the expectations for a child at the end of the key stage look like so that any interim judgements are based on that understanding, rather than just interpreting any old enjoyment of writing as meaning the child is working at the end of key stage expected level because thats what is written. Professional knowledge and understanding of child development will be even mmore crucial.

Accuracy is going to be vital. My prediction is that we will have a huge increase nationally in the % of children achieving the exceeding outcomes because there will be, as there was the last time, mass over assessment until understanding of the levels was embedded. The second year of the current EYFSP saw a correspondingly huge drop in those higher levels.

So in terms of children I would want there to be very thorough interrogation of the evidence base and a real focus on the extent of independent application of any skills within an EYFS context if a child is judged as completeing the EYFS before the end of the year. It would depend on your schools philosophy re using NC levels to describe attainment but for your data submission you can't assess a child as any higher than exceeding in any case, just as you can't assess any more than a total of 9 at the moment.

The curriculum then in my estimation should be about deepening and broadening the child's application of skills. Challenge and problem solving rather than racing ahead may be a more appropriate solution.

Cx

Guest LornaW

The two documents are not related with one another. The NC LO are from a very old document (dare I say 1996! urgh!) I used this many years ago which helped me in an infant school to see coverage and I thought you may find useful for your own knowledge base.

Yes the NC 2000 https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/QCA/99/457 is the only statutory document we need to follow in KS1 and KS2.

How Wigan developed their document I really don't know but hace found it useful for transition to show that you can continue with and EYFS pedagogy when delivering the NC in KS1!

Sorry for the confusion.

Lorna

• 1 month later...

I am reminded that the national curriculum was to be revised and reintroduced after the Rose Review - and then we had an election and it all went out the window because the condems didn't like it.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)