Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non-Chronological Reports

Hello all! Hope everyone is enjoying their jollies!

I am sadly not any more...ha I am a student and I have a placement in a y2 class. From next week I have to teach a unit on non-chronological reports! I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions of how I would go about this! looking around the net has amazingly confused me about what I should be teaching and how!

Thank You all

Jayne x

Do you have any idea what they've been learning about already? Writing any kind of non-fiction text is much easier for them if they know their subject really well. So the topic they are going to be doing next term or one they've just been doing. Failing that something that tends to grab them (minibeasts always works for mine!).

Also the Developing Early Writing booklet is an older one from the days of the National Literacy Strategy but has clear explanations of what some of the different text types are and gives exemplification of how you could approach teaching them for different year groups. As with everything though - use the ideas and put your own spin on it. I tend to find there isn't enough in there or enough differentiation. You can find the DEW booklet at this link:

http://www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/developing-early-writing

Have you looked at the Pie Corbett stuff? You can teach non-fiction as well as stories using this approach, with actions for the different parts e.g. headings, sub-headings etc. My daughter is in Y2 and has just done this at school, she really loved it and came home and write reports about all sorts of things!

I agree, plan for the children to write a report based on the topic you are doing. However, be careful not to over lap with the SATs writing task if your school is doing 2009 where they have to write a non-chronological report about Night time/nocturnal animals.

The key skills to teach the children is the general features of the a report, spend time looking at non-fiction texts, headings, subheadings, grouping ideas into paragraphs and writing these under the sub-headings, writing captions for pictures, use of present tense if applicable. The children seem to enjoy this unit, especially the boys!

Thank you so much everyone! getting there now I made the mistake of starting looking for nocturnal animals until I read about the restrictions! thank you again

Sorry I am slightly stuck again :/ I have chosen to do the NCR's on the Seaside topic. I've been going through the phases to follow in the literacy strategy but I am slightly unsure as to weather we just research 1 part of the Seaside all the way through and write a NCR based on that in the final few days or do I go through the various elements of a NCR eg what they are using a different topic to 'practice' and then when I move onto the planning stage do I then introduce the Seaside topic?

(hope that made some sense haha)

Jayne

I don't really stick rigidly to the frameworks as we no longer have to use them so not 100% sure what the strategy suggests, I just use the overviews. I actually did 2 weeks of NCR in November where I did it in a very guided approach. We revisited it for two weeks again just before half term and the hildren were then much more independent this time round.

I would perhaps focus on one aspect of the seaside to do as a guided approach and then children can write further sections independently later on.

I actually did a group brainstorm with my class where children wrote their ideas on post its and stuck them all around the brainstorm. As a group we then went through all their ideas and grouped them under different sections and children suggested suitable sub-headings and wrote it up. I would spend the first week, exploring non-fiction texts and reports, write captions for pictures, get children to have a go at grouping ideas into paragraphs under subheadings and then you can see how they are before planning further.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)