Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Times

How do you organise lunch times with regards to going outside with reception class? Do your children mix with the rest of the school or KS1? Do they continue to use the outdoor area? If they do use the outdoor area, do they use it in the same way as they do during the rest of the day, or do you adapt the provision for lunch time?

Thanks for taking the time to share how you do things xxx

We are a 40 intake reception with no nursery. Our children join the rest of KS1 in the hall for dinner and then go onto the playground for 'playtime' afterwards for 20 minutes. It is the only time during the day that they mix with KS1

K x

At the school I work in reception join the whole school out on the playground at lunchtime. At previous schools I've worked in there were usually two playgrounds so they joined KS1 only at lunchtime. I've never been in a school where they stay in their own outdoor area at lunchtime and I'd be interested to see if anyone does this. I would think it would require quite a lot of extra lunchtime staffing.

Edited by Guest

we are a 3 form entry,so 90 children. We all go into lunch hall at 11:45 (15 mins before rest of school to get them settled) they then begin the year in a separate Reception area of the main playground. We found that by Christmas some were confident enough to join the rest of school. we still keep the smaller reception area, with some small equipment for those children who are less confident. It is manned by our reception TA'S, so they have a friendly familiar face. our TA's split their lunchtime, 2 stay in a hall helpng dinners and packed lunches until 12:30( if all children finished they go down to the luchtime play area. they go for their lunch at 12:30 and the other reception TA and another TA from KS1 take over. Our TA's across the school have 30 min lunches and all work 30 mins of lunchtime providing play activities for all children who wish to take part.

Thanks for the replies. I would like my class to mix with KS1 at lunchtime but my head doesn't and wants them to continue using the provision we have set up for CIL. Its not really working and I need to find a way to make it work!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)