Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Family Groups

HI EVERYONE! Going back to Reception in September, starting off as FSU. Got a rough idea of family groups and am thinking of having them to help with settling in/organisation but would like to know exactly how they work and the benefits. Thanks.

hi red label and welcome! :D

My understanding of family groups is that they are not age related and would therefore include children from FS1 and FS2.

Presuming your FS2 children are not also new to you they would give stability and act as role models for the younger FS1 children. This could lead to greater integration of the children although it could mean greater differentiation of activities and you might find it beneficial to have some small group times in age groups for focused activities?

Hi red label,

I presently work in a foundation unit as the recption teacher. Iwork alongside two nursery nurses and a nursery teacher. We each have a family group of mixed nursery and reception children(named after colours). Family group time is usually registration, snacks and story time. Nursery and reception split into their year group for Literacy and Numeracy based activities. All children have access to focused activities and participate in activities such as circle time, knowledge and understanding activies in their family group. Each family group rotate round each member of staff, confusing i know! We all join together for unit singing once a week.If you want any more info or copies of our planning, let me know. Happy to help

Sam :):)

Hi red label,

I presently work in a foundation unit as the recption teacher. Iwork alongside two nursery nurses and a nursery teacher. We each have a family group of mixed nursery and reception children(named after colours). Family group time is usually registration, snacks and story time. Nursery and reception split into their year group for Literacy and Numeracy based activities. All children have access to focused activities and participate in activities such as circle time, knowledge and understanding activies in their family group. Each family group rotate round each member of staff, confusing i know! We all join together for unit singing once a week.If you want any more info or copies of our planning, let me know. Happy to help

Sam :)  :)

34983[/snapback]

Please can I have a copy of your plans could you attach them?

Edited by Gwen

Hi red label,

Sam :)  :)

34983[/snapback]

Thanks Sam for that info. I am in a similar situation to you (from September) and had decided that family groupings would work best. Iwas thinking of rotating groups every half term - how often do you? It sounds as though you may do it more frequently. Would love to see your plans if that's possible . Thanks a lot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)