Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End Of Term Parents Evening

Hi.

After finishing the profiles and writng the reports i'm wondering does anyone have an end of year parents evening. The rest of my school are doing a 'come if you like' evening but i'm not sure if i should be making my parents come in.

Is anyone else having people come in?

Also I have a parent coming in who is obviously unhappy about her child's report, i beleive this to be because her sisters child is also in the class and got a better report (she is competitive with the children). How should handle this?

Thanks

I think it is always good practice to encourage your parents to come in - at any time of year. It gives them value and status, whether it is simply wishing their child well in Year One. Don't forget, your present parents could be advocates for your future parents - so being the welcoming and pleasant one who had their door open is always going to put you in good stead.

On that note, if your parents know that they are welcome, it is then putting the ball in their court - if they come, they come, if not, then at least you know you did your part.

If you've had an open door policy all year, then maybe parents won't need to see you, but there will always be that parent who wants to know! So just go for it!

As far as the competitive sister, I'd probably handle it by drawing on their own child's strengths. Steer clear of comparisons and encourage the parent to do the same. Explain that all children learn differently, and while one child might be more academic, the other child may be more creative. Sing to the child's development, give the parent something proud to take away.

Hope that is helpful !! I have my own open evening to attend on Wednesday. I'll be just showing off the kids work and handing out the profiles, answering any questions, reassuring them about Yr 1, telling them what teacher they will be having next year and finding creative and pleasant ways to say that I'm pleased the kids are going!!! Only kidding! You'll find that the final parent's evening is a pleasant one - the first is always a little awkward as you don't know what to say, the second you don't want to say too much and the third is the pleasant going away party that the parent's just like to hear a summing up statement of how angelic their child has been throughout Reception!! They live and dream!

D xxx

I think it is always good practice to encourage your parents to come in - at any time of year.  It gives them value and status, whether it is simply wishing their child well in Year One.  Don't forget, your present parents could be advocates for your future parents - so being the welcoming and pleasant one who had their door open is always going to put you in good stead. 

On that note, if your parents know that they are welcome, it is then putting the ball in their court - if they come, they come, if not, then at least you know you did your part.

If you've had an open door policy all year, then maybe parents won't need to see you, but there will always be that parent who wants to know!  So just go for it!

As far as the competitive sister, I'd probably handle it by drawing on their own child's strengths.  Steer clear of comparisons and encourage the parent to do the same.  Explain that all children learn differently, and while one child might be more academic, the other child may be more creative.  Sing to the child's development, give the parent something proud to take away. 

Hope that is helpful !!  I have my own open evening to attend on Wednesday.  I'll be just showing off the kids work and handing out the profiles, answering any questions, reassuring them about Yr 1, telling them what teacher they will be having next year and finding creative and pleasant ways to say that I'm pleased the kids are going!!!  Only kidding!   You'll find that the final parent's evening is a pleasant one - the first is always a little awkward  as you don't know what to say, the second you don't want to say too much and the third is the pleasant going away party that the parent's just like to hear a summing up statement of how angelic their child has been throughout Reception!!  They live and dream!

D xxx

34898[/snapback]

Oops not sure what I did here!!!!  excuse mistake

Edited by michaelle

I have just done a parents eve tonight to report end of profile scores etc.. I didnt do it last year but felt it would be good to do instead of spring parents eve (I made that a more in formal 'drop in' type) as I had held baseline profile meetings back in Autumn term it seemed a good idea to follow up. All went well

Hi.

We've decided to offer the chance of a parents evening and if they would like to come great, if not, no problem.

The issue with the parent has now turned bizare, she's obviously annoyed about the reports but its extending into other issues now, so the head is going to come and sit with me as the parent is now picking on school policy etc etc

Ah well...

Buttonmoon,

Sorry to hear about your disgruntled parent, there is no pleasing some people but good advice already given.

I have just had 2 parent evenings, last Thursday for children leaving for school ( 4-5:30pm with childcare), Only 2 parents turned up ( cost me £45 in wages and £20 rent) :o

The second one was this evening, for children staying on in September, (same time), only one parent turned up. xD:(

I have 35 children attending. I have an open door policy and talk to parents often but I wanted to have a bit more time than the usual drop off or pick up chat. I suppose if I am positive it does mean that all are happy as I didn't have any complaints :(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)