Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nuts!

mrsbat

haha That got your attention no doubt :ph34r:

Do you allow the children to bring them in?

A bit of background, we have a child who is not allowed to eat any form of bread, wheat, flour etc etc or any form of dairy - not because of allergies but because of a diet the family are following.

So at snack time the child obviously can't have what the other children have as well as their fruit such as breadsticks/crackers/cereal/bread etc. Mum makes biscuits, pancakes etc from almond flour and we have always encouraged her to bring something in so the child doesn't miss out. Sometimes she will also bring in a pot of seeds which is fine but today she brought in some pistachio (sp) nuts.

What would you do??????

I'm really in two minds, I don't want the child to miss out but what if they set of an unduagnosed allergy in another child, am I being wrong because on one hand I am saying mum can bring in items made of nuts (almond flour) but on the other hand saying she can't being in "whole" nuts??

What would you do? :blink:

You could discuss the choking hazard? I have mentioned to a parent that we'd rather her daughter didn't bring in peanut butter sandwiches as we have a member of staff who is allergic to nuts, especially peanuts... Difficult, as a vegetarian with a vegan mother I fully back parental choice on what foods their children are given or have. But as a practitioner I have to protect all the children in the setting!

We ask parents not to put whole nuts in lunch boxes because of choking hazards it's not recommended to give whole nuts to preschool age children because they don't chew effectively

it's different to not allowing nut products because of potential allergies We feel that banning nut products from preschool "just in case" is over cautious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)