Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Help!

This term everyone at my school is having a History or Geography Observation, therefore as i am in reception i am having a KUW lesson observation. The head and humanities subject leader is coming to observe an whole class input followed by child initiated and possibly a small group activity on Monday. The problem is i haven't a clue what to do! this week we are having a whole school science week and the week before we had a bit of a focus on calculation. We haven't really got a topic at the moment just enchantments based on children's interests. I feel dried up of creative ideas i feel i have gone all out for science this week and now i am a bit stumped where to go! Just wondered if anyone has any nice ideas or things they have been doing around KUW.

Thanks in advance

Emma

What do they THINK they will see??!! Dear me, talk about a 'top down' approach!

Anyhoo, why not try something connected with the children's own 'history' - using baby / toddler photos - that will mean more to them - it could link with your enchantments - when I grow up I want to be .... Going from baby to toddler to child to adult - that fab book called 'You choose' - Nick Sharrat? is great for this, lots of pictures and ideas.

Good luck,

Jenni

That's a tough one - will get thinking. My KUW this year hasn't been the best to be honest! What about using a story and making maps? They could make maps of their journey to school, maps of the story (especially for things like Little Red Riding Hood, Jolly Postman).

I did a topic on caves last term which the whole class loved - especially the bit about nocturnal animals and bats. Could you do something that starts with animals somehow?

Treasure maps? Going on a treasure hunt - we did this the other week and covered numbers/ordering, positional language and writing in general as we made our own clues. Much fun had by all! I know you aren't looking for PSRN/CLL ideas it was just an aside!

You could make the maps look old and maybe go on to explore other kinds of natural dyes. We did the old paper thing this week for our pictures of the Battle of Hastings. My class (YR/1) have loved learning about 'William the Conker' as he's become known!

We linked science week with robots last year and the kids loved it! we made robots from junk modelling resources. (Objective was to talk about imporving our work, children commented on each others models saying one thing that they liked and one thing they should improve) It was last year so cant remember clearly. Im sure I could put planning on if your intrested. We did a carpet input about Robots and what they are used for, looked at different robots and shapes they were made from (talked about 3D) we watched some expresson clips about robots. Children could write what thye would like thier robot to do in an ideal world e.g make breakfast, play games etc, they could design a robot on a planning sheet. I also go some really good books about robots from Amazon. If your thinking of doing it let me know and ill find my planning.

Stacey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)