Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Schemes

Does anyone know of a good set of phonics resources, preferably linked to letters and sounds that are available for purchase (rather than having to make your own from online downloads). My school is looking to renew its phonics scheme but we're not sure what to go with. The only thing we know is we don't want Read, Write Inc or Jolly Phonics! Ideally I'd like to see a huge set of decodable books bought (but which ones?) that link to all the phases of letters and sounds as well as additional resources as I feel there is no point in buying a whole new outside phonics scheme when letters and sounds is so good. The problem is we need something that we can just buy and get everyone to use so we're all doing the same thing, rather than having everyone making and using seperate resources and techniques. The whole phonics thing needs a 'reboot' throughout the school if you know what I mean!

We also need a handwriting scheme, either linked in with the phonics, or as a seperate thing. Does anyone have any recommendations as to those?

www.thebookpeople.co.uk. Quite a discount on books of all kinds. We have purchased some Oxford Reading Tree sets from there.

Have you not looked at the DfE matched funding?? The catalogue has lots of letters and sounds linked resources to go with the programme.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/pedagogy/a00191791/match-funding-for-systematic-synthetic-phonics-products-and-training

Also the Institute of education book bands book gives details on most current published schemes for reading.

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/about/5826.html

cx

What about dandelion readers? We use these alongside 'Songbirds' until the children are ready to go onto ORT. Both these schemes are phonics based. You can also buy photocopiables to go with the dandelions.

Becs

• 4 weeks later...

We have floppy phonics which are great and follow letters and sound perfectly.

Also project X and Pearsons bug club are great as they are also set in the phases for letters and sounds. They are 100% phonetically decodable along with the tricky words appropriate to letters and sounds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)