Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Concern - Report ...what Do I Write?

trekker

ok so I have to write about our findings following a complaint about an accident....ofsted provide 5 headings they want used:

Background info

nature of concern

what you found

conclusions

what action taken / intend to take...

my query is what does 'nature of concern' refer to??

They already know it...so what exactly do I write in this heading?

Been at it all day - brain ache!

nature of concern.. what is the complaint about.. why were they concerned enough to complain... they know it from the one view time to give yours

assuming they complained to you first.. unfortunately we often found they bypassed us so we were hit with the question with no idea what it was about..

I had a complaint made against me and I used the five headings, under 'nature of compaint', I wrote what th compaint was and how it MIGHT contravene the welfare requirements. When writing up 'what I found' I made sure that I showed how I had considered the requirements and how I found I was meeting them. Infact, I received a full, written apology from Oftsed over it when they discovered the allegation was completely without foundation.

Thanks all - really helpful....I think I can see whats needed now.

Can I also just check im on the right path with the 'background' - I have basically explained the events leading up to the accident that was complained about...I.e. how many children, how many adults, their qualifications, where they were, what was happening....etc does this sound right?

Hi again..still struggling with this...and as some of you have had experience of this I wanted to ask how honest were you about the complainant and your perception of why they may have complained - and is this necessary???

Basically its using an accident as an excuse to try to bring us (or more precisely me) into disrepute because parent had issues with the items she is raising long before the accident happened....there is a lot of history to the relationship breakdown....should I mention this as part of the 'background' or just focus on the one event?

we stuck to the item at hand, only dealing with the incident complained about.. stuck to the facts and tried not to be judgemental and give our feelings, but professional and factual..only once had to do a written reply

most of the ones I had to deal with they gave an unannounced visit and we had no idea of the complaint until they walked in.. very daunting, and made sure I always had everything written down all the time - . staff thought I was over the top but it saved us more than once..

From my experience, I can tell you that I was scrupulously honest in my report - I showed that I had reflected on what had happened and had identified where my procedures or my actions might not have been helpful. I outlned what my priorities for improving/amending policies were, and what action I would take next. Ofsted then just checked to make sure I had done what I said I would.

However I agree with Inge - stick to the matter in hand unless any of the previous issues have resurfaced with this complaint.

It is very sad that this relationship has broken down. Has the parent removed the child from your setting?

• 2 months later...

Hi, has anyone ever experienced a full early years ofsted inspection a short time after a complaint because of a complaint made to them?

Yes! Pre-EYFS I had a visit from Ofsted to investigate a complaint. The Inspector announced within 10 minutes that the complaint was unfounded and no further action would be taken.... "while i'm here though, I'll do your inspection..." which would have been due within a couple of months anyway!

i wasn't greatly thrilled (as you can imagine :ph34r: ) but was given a Good, when Good was the best you could get!

Nona