Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Closing Nursery Kitchen Doors?

We are reviewing our kitchen procedures currently.

Our nursery cook is stating that the kitchen door LEGALLY has to remain closed the whole time.

We are finding that this is very inconvenient when collecting snacks, drinks, lunch and tea!

I have attempted to find some information on the internet about the actual regulations regarding this issue but I have not been able to find anything.

Does anybody know the regulations on this????

I know when we had our new building 2 years ago, the architect & LEA & we had to argue with the borough council building regs people as the borough council wanted us to have a solid door between the kitchen and the playroom, and everyone else wanted it to be open plan with a half-height wall and baby gate so it is part of the playroom and the children can easily see in.

The plan was the same as a preschool built a few months earlier in another town so a different borough council, and we won and have our open plan kitchen that's safely separated from the children but fully visible.

Do you have another barrier between the children and the kitchen, like a baby gate? And why is the cook saying it must be closed at all times? Is she/he thinking of fire regs or the children's safety?

Hi if they are fire doors then I would say yes they probably should be, but the practicality of that is another matter. If lots of electrical equipment is being used to cook meals etc, this certainly could be a fire risk if left open. All our snack is put onto a trolley to transfer to the main hall is this a possibility for you.

thank you for your replies so far.

Unfortunately it would not be possible to use a trolley. We are a private day nursery and the food is transported by trays into 3 different rooms.

The children are actually separated off into rooms so technically they are split off from the kitchen door. However, the older children that access the toilet independently could wander around if they were a little cheeky! The expectation is that the nursery cook should shut the door firmly when she is not in there.

A really tricky one because she is totally isolating herself from the rest of the staff!

Interesting that I have the opposite issue - our kitchen door is supposed to remain closed as it is a fire door and our cook keeps propping it open - and staff then wander in and out increasing the risk of accidents and contamination of food whilst it is being prepared. I have had to insist it is shut- especially as just yesterday one of the children walked into it and got a nasty lump on her head - but the cook has spent all day today moaning to all and sundry about being isolated!

• 3 weeks later...

I insist on our kitchen door being closed, too much risk of cross-contamination staff putting used dishes in the wrong place, staff using the oven and leaving it on etc. For me the kitchen should be out of bounds to anyone who is not designated to work in it, designated workers are fully qualified wear protective clothing etc. *redjayne* if your cook is moaning about being isolated why not suggest that if she wants to be with the room staff she could re-train ;)